MP over XBMC? (1 Viewer)

magao

Portal Member
December 22, 2008
Home Country
I should note that one of my issues that were present in the 9.04 beta of XBMC have been resolved in the 9.04 final release for both Windows and Linux. Specifically, embedded fonts are used now. However, subtitles are not displayed in the case that VDPAU is used and both embedded subtitles and embedded fonts are present in a Matroska container (this is a known issue in the XBMC forums and I think on the issue tracker).

So I can say that XBMC 9.04 is a suitable media centre for anyone who doesn't require TV capabilities (or is willing to get them via a plugin) and has a fast-enough CPU (or is on Linux with nVidia graphics and doesn't care about subtitles).

ixian

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    They are both very good media front ends but I still believe they serve a very different set of core users, with XBMC being for the more casual, downloader type (or open source advocates, let us not forget) and Media Portal for the serious home theater enthusiast. XBMC's strict reliance on mplayer/ffmpeg for codec support makes it a non-starter for many HT nuts, including me. But it's still an incredible piece of software, just like Media Portal.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    They are both very good media front ends but I still believe they serve a very different set of core users, with XBMC being for the more casual, downloader type (or open source advocates, let us not forget) and Media Portal for the serious home theater enthusiast. XBMC's strict reliance on mplayer/ffmpeg for codec support makes it a non-starter for many HT nuts, including me. But it's still an incredible piece of software, just like Media Portal.

That sums up currently pretty much the current "target" audioences for XBMC and MediaPortal. Just add the TV option on MediaPortal side. With that information it should be easy for the users to pick the right HTPC application for them.

After MP II & MeediOS are ready for the public the decission will be harder.

Darkjasper

Portal Member
    February 21, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I have used xbmc for many years for SD content. But recently I have stepped up to HD and thats were media portal does the job. I have a single core old pc I use as a media center and it runs 1080 content fine with a 8600 card thown in it. I can not yet do this with XBMC on windows so I dont see my self using it for my hd needs. Although I will still keep it for SD content for the bedroom. Also I have no needs for tv as I can not get a decent tuner card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom