MP Playback freezes when turning off TV (1 Viewer)

DGalt

Portal Pro
November 23, 2010
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.1
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
CPU Type: Intel Core i3 (using integrated HD graphics)
Codecs: Only codecs I'm using besides what is included with MP / default for Windows is LAV filters (splitter, audio, video)

The basic setup is HTPC (w/ MP) -> AVR -> TV all via HDMI cables

Basically, if a file (or Pandora through the pandora plugin) is playing, and the TV turns off, the file stops playing and upon turning the TV back on MP is either completely or partially frozen.

Really the primary reason this is an issue is because I want to be able to listen to music while the TV is off. However, if I'm listening to music and I turn the TV off, the music will stop playing. When I turn the TV back on, MP says the music is still playing, but you can't hear any audio. If you stop the song, and try to start playing it again, it does not work. The only fix I've found is to just restart MP.

If instead I'm watching a video file, and I turn off the TV, the audio stops and upon turning the TV back on the audio resumes but MP is otherwise frozen (again requiring a MP restart to fix it).

One thing I've noticed is that if MP is open / fullscreen and I turn off the TV, when I turn the TV back in MP is some type of minimized / windowed mode. After maybe 5-10 seconds it reverts to fullscreen, and becomes responsive after another 5-10 seconds.

I don't know if this is an issue with MP or an issue with how Windows 7 treats programs / the screen resolution when the monitor (in this case the TV) is not powered on.

But yeah...this is rather annoying since I keep having to restart MP and I'd really like to be able to listen to music without having to keep the tv on

EDIT:

actually, this is probably what the issue is....

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...pause-breaks-stops-when-turning-off-tv-97379/

going to try out the suggested fix, I'll report back with the results :D

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

DGalt

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2010
    getting an HDMI detective fixed all these issues...unfortunately the EDID override driver solution did not

Domarkas

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello, is there a MP solution in the meanwhile? For me MP-Client must be modificated to handle changes in resolution while play back and playback in fullscreen. MP client even 1.6 can't handle changes in resolution. Same errors since 2006. Windows is changing resolution after each hotplug-event. If TV went off the windows res fall back to minimal standard VGA res. After getting hot-plug win reads EDID and set res to last res compatible with EDID.

In this time of changing the res , MP client tumble down because res change. What we need is a handling in MP to react for changed res and don't crash for it.

Is there any solution on the way? Or is there no way out?

Last edited:

Domarkas

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Foto2.JPG
    Hello, was there any solution found to be happy?
    Hello, is there a MP solution in the meanwhile? For me MP-Client must be modificated to handle changes in resolution while play back and playback in fullscreen. MP client even 1.6 can't handle changes in resolution. Same errors since 2006. Windows is changing resolution after each hotplug-event. If TV went off the windows res fall back to minimal standard VGA res. After getting hot-plug win reads EDID and set res to last res compatible with EDID.

In this time of changing the res , MP client tumble down because res change. What we need is a handling in MP to react for changed res and don't crash for it.

Is there any solution on the way? Or is there no way out?

Hello, is there a MP solution in the meanwhile?
    For what issue? This was reported in 2011, and is probably fixed a long time ago.

First time it was reportet in 2006. At that time I had myself this problem. If it's true that solved in 2011 I have following question:
    1. Why people ask 2012 and 2013 for help in this issue?
    2. If there is a solution why it crashes still in 1.3 and stop playback 1.6? I am just testing with 1.6.
    3. How and where I can find a fix up you telling about?
    4. You ask what issue. I wrote it in my thread. MP client crashes, when a HDMI connected TV is switched off or after that again switch to on. Sometimes it depends on how long TV is switched off. I read many comments in forums. Gathering all info MP crashes because of res change while play back in fullscreen. This makes sense because we know that windows set res back to a min default what is an change in res to MP and it will crash because this is not handled in MP. And it comes up with HDMI.
    If you have questions pls ask exactly what you need to feed a statement of current state. I saw most threats concerning this issue come to a dead end what is undesirable.

I would be glad to get forward in this issue.

Attachments

• Foto.JPG
      Foto.JPG
      109.5 KB
    • Foto1.JPG
      Foto1.JPG
      139.4 KB
    Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Well, for starters i would suggest to fill in your system specs and post full debug logs after reproducing the issue. ;)
    Best would be to open a proper bugreport in the correct forum:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/forums/bugreports.74/

Because there might still be other/different issues that can lead to a crash. Hardware related for example.

As of MediaPortal 1.4 Pre Release, there are some fixes included:
    MP1-1914: Windows 7 Half & Full Screen problem.

Domarkas

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well, for starters i would suggest to fill in your system specs and post full debug logs after reproducing the issue. ;) I am dealing with MP since if I remember it correct: 2004 but I respect a good organisation.
    Best would be to open a proper bugreport in the correct forum:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/forums/bugreports.74/ ---> OK next time

Because there might still be other/different issues that can lead to a crash. Hardware related for example.
    -----> I am testing MP permanent on min 5 different HW-Platforms from XP to Win7. Can say Win7 and not related to HW.
    Have you an idea concerning outside of the bugfix was made since 1.4 when you say " ...Hardware related for example." ?

As of MediaPortal 1.4 Pre Release, there are some fixes included:
    MP1-1914: Windows 7 Half & Full Screen problem.

As of MediaPortal 1.4 Pre Release, there are some fixes included: ----> I will test if some fixes includes the problem with HDMI-HotPlug.
    -----> Can you confirm the attached screenshot ..Stream2 I got in 1.3 is possibly related to the fixed issues?

Thank you for your help so far!

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    -----> Can you confirm the attached screenshot ..Stream2 I got in 1.3 is possibly related to the fixed issues?
    No clue without logs, since that screenshot can be caused by multiple things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom