MP RC2 crashes on start: DeviceVolumeMonitorException (1 Viewer)

natomb

Portal Member
July 21, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
TV-Server Version: RC2
MediaPortal Version: RC2
MediaPortal Skin: Blue Wide Two
Windows Version: Vista (amd64) SP 1
CPU Type: AMD 4850e (2,5 GHz)
HDD: WD3200AAJB (320 GByte)
Memory: 8 GByte DDR2-5300 CL5
Motherboard: Asus M3A78-EMH HDMI
Video Card: Onboard (AMD 780G)
Video Card Driver: ATI Display Driver 8.8 (w/o CCC)
Sound Card: Realtek (HDMI, Onboard)
Sound Card AC3: no AC3
Sound Card Driver: ATI SouthBridge Driver 8.8
1. TV Card: Technisat SkyStar HD2
1. TV Card Type: DVB-S2
1. TV Card Driver: 1.1
2. TV Card: Technisat SkyStar HD2
2. TV Card Type: DVB-S2
2. TV Card Driver: 1.1
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPV
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPA
h.264 Video Codec: Cyberlink H264 codec pack
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Astra 19,2°E, Eutelsat
HTPC Case: Antec Fusion v2 LCD
Cooling: built-in
Power Supply: built-in
Remote: Windows MCE remote
TV: Samsung LE-40M86BD
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Hi,

I downloaded the Comskip program (v. 49-144) today and activated it in the MP and TV3. Both plug-ins are configured to run Comskip after recording. Running a test on a recording passed through. Yet, I could not verify if Comskip worked properly because since then I have trouble starting MP.

When starting MP, it crashes immediately with a DeviceVolumeMonitorException, most likely caused by the External Display plugin that I have activated to drive the LCD in my Antec case (have installed the LCD driver from the Antec CD). The attached logfile for this is "MediaPortalLogs_04_09_08 - Crash at Startup (LCD Display).zip" .

When deactivating the External Display plugin, MP will start but I cannot start any video (recorded, movie, live-tv) . I have attached the logfile collected from the MP folder after a reboot (and after giving my PC ~10 minutes time to start everything) - "MediaPortal log - No video display possible.zip" . Yet, occassionally, MP will crash even in this situation (attached log: "MediaPortalLogs_04_09_08 - Crashed at Startup (no reason).zip") . When playing back a video with MediaPlayer, everything works just fine.

Deactivating Comskip plugins has no effect, MP will not come up again. Before installing Comskip, my MP worked for three days without any problems (watching movies including RealMedia and HD-versions, Live-TV, and recordings) .

Hope the logs may help. Please contact in case of any other additional information.

Bjoern

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Both plug-ins are configured to run Comskip after recording. Running a test on a recording passed through. Yet, I could not verify if Comskip worked properly because since then I have trouble starting MP.

The only comskip plugin that should be enabled is the one in TVServer, can you check the xp\vista issues in my sig.

natomb

Portal Member
    July 21, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok, I have deactivated the Comskip plugin in MediaPortal but it (MP) will continue to crash at startup. I also changed to EVR instead of VMR. What I had figured out is the following:

Leave the message box about crashed application and do not do anything with the PC for ~15 minutes. Then the message box would disappear and you can use MP like normal. This includes the LCD display, which just works fine. However, if you press anything while the message box is displayed, MP will close and watchdog will pop up.

Hope this may assist in further digging down what the problem is.

(BTW: deactivating the External Display plugin will not stop the MP startup crash anymore after using EVR)

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    To me this looks like a messed MP setup, so best would be to install a fresh copy of MP(no you don't have to uninstall TV-Server, but TV-Plugin& MediaPortal should be uninstalled), that said make a backup of MediaPortal folders which are 1. C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal (user edited files) 2. C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal (MediaPortal program files) in case you need something or will revert later.
    Then Uninstall MP & TVPlugin & then delete those 2 folders you have backed up. Reboot -> install latest version of MP (same version as TV-Server you use) & then run MP Configuration & set it up as you like. Test that everything works & then you can start adding plugins & see if it starts to crash again.

Regards
    Roy

natomb

Portal Member
    July 21, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think I start to get crazy. This morning, everything worked. But now - nothing.

Ok, what I did? I backed up my system using TrueImage. Then I uninstalled MediaPortal, reinstalled it (same version as before) and tried - nothing worked, MP crashed even before showing the splash screen.

Ok, I decided to uninstall MP and TV3 . Rebooting, installing RC2 and doing the configuration. While the Config for TV3 became really really slow , MP does not work at all. This morning, it took ~45 seconds to display the channels in TV3 config. Now, it takes almost 10 minutes. I let make the DB from scratch (SQL Express) .
    Then, MP3 crashes before the splash screen - again.

So, then I decided to apply the latest SVN. Uninstall everything, even SQL Express, rebooting, installing everything and finally applying the SVN. Running through the configuration, TV3 config took another ~10 minutes to display the TV channel list. Yet, MP config became more smooth. Nevertheless, no success at all. MP crashes before the splash screen is shown. Please find my latest log attached.

I will try to restore my whole system from scratch (not this weekend, I have to work, thus it will take me around 15th) and try it again. It must be possible to make this nice piece of software work, right?

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    The file in MediaPortal root folder "MediaPortal.exe.config" it's corrupted, i've never seen that before & dunno why it has either, so try to re-install latest SVN which should fix it.

Regards
    R

natomb

Portal Member
    July 21, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Good morning,

The file in MediaPortal root folder "MediaPortal.exe.config" it's corrupted, i've never seen that before & dunno why it has either, so try to re-install latest SVN which should fix it.

This is exactly what I did. I have attached the XML file from my install dir. As I have backed up the different versions, I can tell you that a bit-by-bit comparison results that the XML file is the same in both versions, RC2 and latest SVN. The file attached is from the latest SVN.

I hope you guys can track down the problem to improve MediaPortal, which I really like. Please tell me how I can assist you further. Unfortunately I am not experienced in C# and even less in C++ (I never understood pointer arithmetic), thus I am not able to debug my system and hunt down the bug(s) myself. Hell, why the world cannot be in Java only :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom