MP skin resize and TV off after switch amp inputs (1 Viewer)

gusangora

Portal Pro
January 14, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hello all,
I have recently upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 and now have an odd issue. My HTPC is connected to a Yamaha receiver, via HDMI. When I have MP active and TV on, in full screen, and switch to another input on the receiver (say, Satellite TV), then switch back to the HTPC, I find that the MP screen now only occupies roughly a quarter of screen size (with Windows wallpaper now visible), MP shows TV Guide screen, with no TV preview and TV switched off! The same happens when I switch the Yamaha receiver off (but leave HTPC and MP active).
Sometimes, MP remains full screen (less often) but TV has turned off. Also, when I have a video file playing, the video playback has stopped when I return the Yamaha input to HTPC.
I don't necessarily care much that TV has turned off (but, why?) however the screen/skin resize can only be fixed by exiting MP then re-starting the program, a delay I could do without every time that I turn the system on or switch inputs.
Any ideas/solutions?

gusangora

Portal Pro
January 14, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Home Country
Australia Australia
Thanks robbo100. I used vnc to adjust the resolution whilst the receiver is switched off, and now I can switch between inputs and turn the receiver on/off without the skin being resized and without TV within MP being turned off. Problem 1 fixed (and my major issue resolved, thanks).
However, I lose all sound via MP until I switch TV (within MP, not the display monitor/TV) off then on again. I noticed with vnc that the HTPC shows no audio device connected whilst receiver switched off, so I guess this is the root of the issue. Any ideas on that one?

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The behaviour of the GPU HDMI output (specifically the ability to detect an output device) vary quite a lot depending upon what GPU you actually have and what drivers you have installed.

For ATI, I use version 11.4 of CCC and it works fine (5450 card connected via HDMI to Denon Amp, which is then connected to LG TV). If I am playing music and I turn the TV off, the system stops playing any sound through the amp for about 5 seconds whilst the card reacquires the HDMI connection (even though the HDMI isn't directly connected to the TV and windows shows the Denon amp as the connected device.

It might be worth trying different device drivers, because some are better than others.

Robbo100

gusangora

Portal Pro
    January 14, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I have an ATI Radeon HD 5700 connected via HDMI to a Yamaha amp/receiver, the receiver is connected to a Sony via HDMI.
    I'm using the latest AMD Catalyst 12.1

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Like I say, try other versions of Catalyst (11.4 works fine for me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom