MP stop working (solved) (2 Viewers)

Hsenag

Portal Member
August 13, 2015
Home Country
Portugal Portugal
Hello
my media portal doesn't start anymore, it was working fine yesterday but impossible to start now.
The last time I shutdown there was a "bug" and after waiting more then 10 minutes (no visible disk access and the stars of the shutdown screen were not moving anymore ) I should press the power button to swith off my computer.
I have no error msg on screen, just nothing happend, I try to start watchdog for having an idea of what append here and I was only able to "export all current log" (see below)
Any clue about this error ?
Take care of you.
Hsenag

PS: french mother tongue xcuse my english syntax .. and not my french. ;)

Attachments

• MP_Logs_MEDIA-PC_22_08_08_01_04.zip
    13.6 KB

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    my media portal doesn't start anymore, it was working fine yesterday but impossible to start now.
    Your MediaPortal.xml file is full of nulls, so I think that that is why MP cannot start.

(1) Check to see if you have the file MediaPortal.xml.bak. If it exists, use Notepad to look at the contents of the file. If it contains readable text, it is probably OK. So use the following commands in the "MediaPortal" folder:

del MediaPortal.xml
    ren MediaPortal.xml.bak MediaPortal.xml

(2) If the "bak" file is also full of nulls, delete both the "xml" file and the "bak" file. Then run "MP Config" and perform the setup that you need for your system.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Hsenag

Portal Member
    August 13, 2015
    Home Country
    Portugal Portugal
    Many thanks to CyberSimian that was the solution, my .bak was corrupted also but I do backup every month and I was able to retrieve an older one, replace it and everything seems to work fine. If I remenber right this is the second time I had such problem, (the solution remember to me my previous one).
    Is there any option, plugin, or else I can use to avoid this happening again in case of my computer doesn't shutdown normaly ?
    One more time tks for your help.
    Take care.
    Hsenag

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I do backup every month
    I think that this is a good practice (y). (I backup my system far less often :eek:.)

Over recent years I have got the impression that an MP system does not like to be repeatedly put to sleep or hibernated over the course of several weeks, and eventually some sort of operating system error occurs. So rebooting the system once each week may help to forestall this. But this may depend on what hardware and other software you use -- some hardware or software may be more prone to errors than others.

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Over recent years I have got the impression that an MP system does not like to be repeatedly put to sleep or hibernated over the course of several weeks, and eventually some sort of operating system error occurs. So rebooting the system once each week may help to forestall this. But this may depend on what hardware and other software you use -- some hardware or software may be more prone to errors than others.

that is absolutely not my impression, I think I reboot my htpc max a couple of times a year, usually (wild guess) when directx derails
    (symptoms are: frozen image, or sound only at video playback)

Mind you, it's MP client only, no tvservice, and mp shutdown before sleep (and ofcourse start again at wake)
    Edit: leaving MP running while sleep is asking for trouble imho

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom