MediaPortal Version: 1.0 final
MediaPortal Skin: Blue Wide Three
Windows Version: Vista (amd64) SP 1
CPU Type: AMD 4850e (2,5 GHz)
HDD: WD3200AAJB (320 GByte)
Memory: 2 GByte DDR2-5300 CL5
Motherboard: Asus M3A78-EMH HDMI
Video Card: Onboard (AMD 780G)
Video Card Driver: ATI Display Driver 8.12 (w/ CCC)
Sound Card: Realtek (HDMI, Onboard)
Sound Card AC3: no AC3
Sound Card Driver: ATI SouthBridge Driver 8.12
1. TV Card: Technisat SkyStar HD2
1. TV Card Type: DVB-S2
1. TV Card Driver: 1.1
2. TV Card: Technisat SkyStar HD2
2. TV Card Type: DVB-S2
2. TV Card Driver: 1.1
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPV
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPA
h.264 Video Codec: FFDShow
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Astra 19,2°E, Eutelsat
HTPC Case: Antec Fusion v2 LCD
Cooling: built-in
Power Supply: built-in
Remote: Windows MCE remote
TV: Samsung LE-40M86BD
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Hi MediaPortal community,

Today, I had to switch back to the Windows Desktop since approx. 3 weeks. I did this to enable saring on a folder that contains my TV series. This meant that I had to shut-down MediaPortal. When I wanted to restart MediaPortal, I received an error message "Exception :confused:ystem.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Das Konfigurationssystem konnte nicht initialisiert werden.". Searching the forum, there was the recommendation to reinstall MediaPortal. I did this and installed the 1.0final release. However, since then things are very strange.

When I open the TVServer configuration, I get only one entry (see screenshot).

When I try to start MediaPortal, it crashes immediately.

I have attached the log files for the TVServer and MediaPortal.

I hope you can help me.

Attachments

• server.jpg
    server.jpg
    28.3 KB

natomb

Portal Member
July 21, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
As my system was already broken, I tried the latest SVN.

Here is what I did:

(1) Fully deinstall old MP
(2) Install MP 1.0 final
(3) Configuring and starting MP 1.0 final => results can be found in "MP 1.0final logs.zip"
(4) Installing MP 1.0 latest SVN (first MP, then TVServer)
(5) Upgrading DirectX9.0c from Oct.2008 to Nov.2008 (as MP Configuration complained about)
(6) Configuring and starting MP 1.0 latest SVN => results can be found in "MP 1.0 latest svn logs.zip"

Further reading in the forum suggests that maybe the boot-loading process of MP is broken. But I am not firm enough in .NET to make any judgement.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    First thing, reboot, no change then try below.

I would say your sql database may be foobar, get mssql management studio express and see what databases may exist, if more than one, might be worthwhile connecting to that to see if it may have your previous settings saved.

you need to enable authentication as sqlserver, not windows and log in as sa with MediaPortal as password, you are looking for MpTvDb (MP1.0) or if previous version may have RC1\2\3\4 after the name, if it exists then copy the name and uninstall tvserver + plugin, reinstall and change name of the database to connect too manually in the sql connect screen.

If this does get it working, backup the db using management express and copy the saved db to to somewhere safe, so you have a backup to restore in the future.

If none of the above works then drop the db using management express and start over.

:sorry:

natomb

Portal Member
    July 21, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thank you for the quick response. I followed your instructions and did the following:

(1) Fully deinstall MP and TVS
    (2) Drop any DB from MSSQL server (except "Systemdatenbank")
    (3) Rebooted
    (4) Installed MP 1.0 final
    (5) Configured MP 1.0 final
    (6) Ensured that MpTvDb is existing in SQL-server
    (7) Started MP 1.0 final => failed, see "MP1.0 final before reboot.zip"
    (8) Rebooted
    (9) Entered configuration of TVS and MP
    (10) Started MP 1.0 final => failed, see "MP1.0 final after reboot.zip"
    (11) Installed latest SVN
    (12) Configured latest SVN
    (13) Started MP latest SVN => failed, see "MP1.0 latest SVN before reboot.zip"
    (14) Rebooted
    (15) Entered configuration of TVS and MP
    (16) Started MP latest SVN => failed, see "MP1.0 latest SVN after reboot.zip"

As I did not touch anything else since three weeks before I ran into trouble, I checked the Windows Update log and found following entries since then:

• Update für die Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1- und .NET Framework 3.5-Produktfamilie (KB951847) x64 --- Installationsdatum: ‎25.‎02.‎2009 20:42
    • Update für Microsoft Silverlight (KB960353) --- Installationsdatum: ‎27.‎02.‎2009 11:39

I hope my logs will help to make MP more robust.

Attachments

• MP1.0 final after reboot.zip
      30.7 KB
    • MP1.0 final before reboot.zip
      30.7 KB
    • MP1.0 latest SVN after reboot.zip
      30.7 KB
    • MP1.0 latest SVN before reboot.zip
      30.7 KB

natomb

Portal Member
    July 21, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    To further dig down on the issue that I have with MediaPortal, I have analyzed MP's source code to see where the reason of the crash may be. I found that it might happen in the file "MediaPortal.cs" in line 350. There, the .NET configuration manager tries to read the "AppSettings" section from "MediaPortal.exe.config" file. It seems that this is not working. To ensure that the config file is proper, I wrote a small .NET program reading the "version" information from that configuration file (using the .NET ConfigurationManager class of course). It worked well. Thus, I cannot understand why it does not work with MediaPortal. I have attached the "MediaPortal.exe.config" file.

I really hope that you can help me on this, because I am very reluctant to setup my whole system again. It took me nearly 2 month to setup everything properly and I do not want to repeat this.

Attachments

• MediaPortal.exe.zip
      30.6 KB

natomb

Portal Member
    July 21, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello Guys,

I am still working on the problem that MediaPortal is not working. Attached is a CS program that can successfully execute what MediaPortal fails to do. Maybe someone finds some time to check it. Unfortunately, I am not skilled enough (now) to debug MediaPortal myself.

Furthermore, I tried with the latest SVN and I have to announce that it is broken as well. When running the MediaPortal configuration dialog, I will receive an error as shown in the picture of this post. When continuing the configuration and saving, I receive the error "Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt." in "MediaPortal.Configuration.Sections.Music.SaveSettings()".

Attachments

• MP Config crash.jpg
      MP Config crash.jpg
      82.8 KB
    • Read_config.zip
      30.6 KB

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If you rename the C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal to Mediaportalold and uninstall\reinstall, will config start then.

Also check the virtualstore for any MP details and delete.

ie, c:\users\name\AppData\VirtualStore\Program Files\MyApp\UserData, name needs to be your log on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom