[Evaluate] MP Tray extended - monitors and audio devices switch (using remote) (1 Viewer)

yoavain

Extension Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 24, 2009
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    (Decided to give it another try, since the first one was in the wrong forum)

I'm running MP on a PC with 2 monitors and 2 audio output devices. Every time I go to the living room to start MP with the remote, I first need to switch displays. Then I have to switch from my speakers to the SPDIF output.

I've decided to extend MPTray to do this for me, with a click of a remote button.
    I've added a Settings options:
    1109a82.jpg

Here's the configuration screenshot:
    6sghz4.jpg

Everything is already implemented, everything is configurable, just needs to be merged to project;);)

It uses 2 executables to do the actual switch:
    1. DisplaySwitch.exe (which is part of windows 7 & 8; tested only on windows 7)
    2. SoundSwitch.AudioInterface.exe to switch between audio output devices.

I wasn't able to create a patch file that contains the EXE in it, so I zip them both.
    If someone can help me with creating a proper patch file, I'll be happy to upload it instead.

Attachments

• MPTray extended - (2013-04-01).zip
      56 KB
    Last edited:

yoavain

Extension Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 24, 2009
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    Edited original post:
    • New implementation
    • New screenshots
    • New patch file

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi, this looks fantastic. Just what I need.

Always seems a shame that when I set up the projector I need to alt-tab to the desktop.

I'll give this a test on Windows 8 when I get home in the next few days. Does the display switch allow you to set particular resolutions?

Thanks

yoavain

Extension Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 24, 2009
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    Hi erichzann,https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/members/erichzann.116360/

Currently this is only a patch (code), not a compiled version, but if you would like to test this feature on windows 8, you can PM me.

The way this works is the same as pressing win+p and selecting 'Projector only' or 'Computer only'.
    Resolution is the same as it is configured for each screen. For example, I have one screen set to full HD (1920x1080), and the other to 1360x768. The resolution is changed to the resolution of the next screen.

Yoav

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    http://www.eventghost.org/ can do more than this. You should check it out. This was written for automating stuff on windows. For what you doing it is setup in a couple of minutes.

MPTray is just a replacement for ehtray.exe that just starts Mediaportal like ehtray.exe did for Windows Media Center. Everything else needs to be nicely inside MediaPortal itself. Calling 3rd party exes is not the way. Would open a can of worms here.

But if you like you can fork MPTray and release it on your own and call it something else.

But as said, check out Event Ghost it will make you happy. I even think there's a plugin to send Events from MP to EventGhost allowing MP to take leverage what you have configured there. Do not know if it is maintained, though.

Last edited:

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yes, once I realised there was a hotkey for changing display I will use event ghost for this.

Also there is a mp volume control plugin that allows you to switch audio source.

Last edited:

yoavain

Extension Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 24, 2009
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    Thanks Scythe42,
    I thought about using EventGhost, AotoHotkey or alike, but I just didn't want another program intercepting input.
    this all started with compiling the MPTray to do the stuff described above for my own purposes. I just made the extra effort to making it configurable for other to be able to use.
    I still think this kind of configuration should be integrated into the MP for those users who do not have a dedicated PC just for MediaPortal.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi, since you are modding MP Tray you might want to also implement this feature which is lacking in the original MP Tray.

If I press the MCE Start button while MP is not running then MP is loaded,

however...

If I press the MCE Start button when MP is in the system tray (ie, Minimise MP to tray on exit), then nothing happens. In this situation I think MP should be restored.

Last edited:

yoavain

Extension Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 24, 2009
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    Hi, since you are modding MP Tray you might want to also implement this feature which is lacking in the original MP Tray.

If I press the MCE Start button while MP is not running then MP is loaded,

however...

If I press the MCE Start button when MP is in the system tray (ie, Minimise MP to tray on exit), then nothing happens. In this situation I think MP should be restored.

This is not in MPTray. MPTray is only launching MP when it's not running (this is how it was designed). It ignores any remote control presses if the MP is already running, since MP should handle them itself.
    Afaik, MP already does that. When I press the MCE button, if MP is minimized, it is restored to full screen. Maybe you have a configuration issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom