MP + TV-server or just MP (1 Viewer)

Stevieg_73

Portal Member
May 31, 2007
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Hi all

I´m about to be a new user of MP and i don´t have any experience of it so i need som help. I need to know the advantages/disadvantages of just MP or MP with TV-server. I am MCE2005 user but since i wanted to combine my FireDTV-S with my hybrid TV-card i have to switch because MCE doesn´t allow dual tuners of different source but MP does.

So the questions is what is the best app for me ??

My rigg:
Fire DTV-S with encrypted channels (CD with cam, no pairing problems)
Hauppage Hybrid dual tuner for cable (DVB-T)
A new Scaleo E with 1gig ram, 3Ghz CPU etc etc

misterd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 4, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,
    I suggest that you first have a look at the wiki page. There is comparison of the both TV Engines and the make your own decision. Here is the link to the wiki page:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/TV-Engine_0.3/overview
    You should note that the new TV engine is still in beta status and has some known bugs.

MisterD

PHN2

Portal Member
    September 12, 2005
    Denmark
    Hi.

I've turned back from tv-server, since my fire-dtv + hybrid hauppauge 1300 didnt agree at all. I couldnt use analog. The quality of the server was better than mytv alone imho.

Per.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Nothing to stop you installing MP 0.2.2.0 and then current svn (all available links from Homepage) and seeing if your TV cards work fine with them.

Then try TVE3 with it's extra functions, and if it does not work for you, then just uninstall programs relating to TVServer and the plugin, to get back to your original installation.

A bit of advice, do not try to change to many default settings in MP setup, until you are comfortable doing so, ie get the basics working right and then expand use of plugins etc, because this can be most peoples downfall.:(

rmh

Portal Member
    May 27, 2007
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Is TVE3 an internal program in MP or is it running outside MP?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Technically it is a individual process, running under windows all on it's own.

Both the TV part of internal TV functions supplied within the MP program (which has to be running to work) and the TVServer (MP not running) are 2 totally different approaches to watching\recording TV, which one works for a individual MP setup is primarily down to Hardware\drivers by the card manufacturers, again would always recommend setting up the internal TV first and seeing if this does what you want and getting your setup pretty stable and then maybe installing TVE3 with it's plugin afterwards, or if the first internal setup does not work.

Stevieg_73

Portal Member
    May 31, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks all for the advices, i will check the wikiteam page first. But is it possible to install the TVserver afterwards ? I thought that it was implemented in MP so it was 2 different applications..

mulva

Portal Member
    August 22, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Home Country
    I'd been a standalone MP addict for a while. I switched to TV-Server and won't go back. TV-Server is really great stuff! I have a client/server in my family room. A client in my TV room. My teenage boys have a client running in their room.

For beta software, it is amazingly solid. Sure, there are a few annoying little things but the quality of the software is without question.

While I agree with PD, MP is fully configurable so you can tweak it to your satisfaction.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    But is it possible to install the TVserver afterwards

Yes, it is it's own application split into 2 parts TVServer and plugin, both have to be installed, and this will override MP's own built in TV functions.

Stevieg_73

Portal Member
    May 31, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    So which version is best to install if you take the stability and bugs in consideration. I´m not at BETA-tester wannabe so i want a stable, finctional version of MP and TVserver plugin

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom