MP -> Widescreen or 16:9 (1 Viewer)

Streamz

October 26, 2005
The Netherlands
First a big applause for MP and its developers. Installation and use is dead simple. Thanks!

However, it's the screen size that gives me headaches.

I'm using MP via an Asus V8420S with S-video TV-out. The drives are Forceware 81.85.
My TV is a Philips 28" CRT widescreen.

Want I want is simple: When I power up my HTPC, the TV recognizes a 16:9 input format and I will see MP in 16:9. When I fire up a DVD, the output automaticly displays the picture in the right format.
When I want to see some pictures (photo's) the screen shows the right size (not streched).

But I can't get it working. NView can't manage it.

So I tried TVtool, but strangely everything I tried gives the same result: a 4:3 MediaPortal image. And only widescreen DVD when I manually change the setting on the TV. After watching a DVD I have to change back the TV setting.

Help. No, please help me. I'm getting crazy. What am I doing wrong??

kaliatech

Portal Member
September 28, 2005
What native resolutions are you setting your desktop to? I'm guessing you should be trying to set it to 848x480 or 1024x576.

If TVTool doesn't help, maybe try Powerstrip?

I'm not really sure how 16:9 (anamorphic) mode is handled via S-Video output is handled on that particular card. I'm guessing that series does not let you set the S-Video anamorphic mode separately. Offhand, I think others with that series video card have had similar problems. e.g. nVidia TI4600...right?

Related info, although not exact:

http://www.meedio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=23604

http://www.xpmce.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=85809&postdays=0&postorder=asc&topic_view=&start=10

Just fwiw. But IMO, (assuming your TV is digital (720p) capable) you'd probably be better off buying a new video card for <$75USD that had DVI, HDMI, or component output (depending on what your TV supports). I'm guessing s-video, in even widescreen mode, on any newer digital TVs just doesn't do them justice.

Streamz

October 26, 2005
The Netherlands
Thank you for your reply. The threads could be very helpful.
Btw: my TV is an analoge device. The only inputs are svideo and RGB Scart. The Asus is a TI4200 device (with TI4600 back-end)

I tried to fiddle with te zooming options in the Nvidia console, but the controls don't respond. The only respons I get is a balloon with "you can't see any change? It's only visible when playing a video." Now that's helpful :?

I also tried the 768x576 option in TVtool, which is not greyed-out, but the when it reboots (directly after klicking the button) the setting is not maintained.

The thing is, MP in 4:3 is good (not stetched), a DVD played in MP is also the right width. But only after selecting widescreen on my Philips.

It's driving me nuts..

Streamz

October 26, 2005
The Netherlands
Ok, after some fiddling around with the driver and TVtool I settled for the simple solution: changed the resolution to 768x576 and made some adjustments to Mediaportal (calibration). Now I get all the buttons on the screen. And a decent widescreem DVD image.

The WSS (wide screen signaling) in TVtool somehow doesn't work. So I have to set the TV to widescreen each time, but that's big problem. And back to 4:3 when I want to see some JPEG's. I'm not using TVtool anymore. To bad I bought the licence...
On the plus side, the system starts up faster without TVtool. And seems to be more stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom