MP1.3 Live TV Black Screen on Win8 client, works fine on Win7 (1 Viewer)

fboecom

Portal Member
January 3, 2009
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
So I have the following config:
I5 3550, Win8, MP (TV) Server+Client, MP1.3.0 final - Live TV works fine.
I7 laptop, Win7 Enterprise, MP 1.3 Client only (on I5 server) - Live TV works fine.
AMD Phenom X4, Win8, MP 1.3 Client only (on I5 server) - Live TV results in Black screen, I have to kill the task to get out.
Since I had the problem earlier with the 1.3 beta, I waited until the final release. I have completely removed MP 1.3.0 and did a new install. No luck. Wouldnt know where to start looking for a solution.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'd check the firewall settings on the client carefully - basically the client isn't receiving any data via RTSP from the server.

If you attach logs for both the client and server then someone could relate both sets of logs.

fboecom

Portal Member
    January 3, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    TX will do - BTW the TV Guide works well, I can list existing TV recordings made on the server, but trying to play those makes the client unresponsive just like live TV.

fboecom

Portal Member
    January 3, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    So here are the client and server logs. Client 40Kb, Server 27Mb - hurray. Even when the system event logs are cleared and the server rebooted - all those nice tv logs persist..
    Thanks for the good guy that give me a direction. When installing MP I got the firewall question and allowed access.

fboecom

Portal Member
    January 3, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    No, apologies, the hurray was a cinical remark because of the 27Mb size. I started MP-debug on the Win8 client (remote, that is on the same subnet mask in my home) with the Watchdog in 'bug report mode'; after selecting Live TV inside MP, the Win8 client turns unresponsive, gives a black screen, I have to kill the client , and then the watchdog debugger produces the client log. The Win8 server (+ a local client that works fine but is obviously not used when using the remote client) works fine all the time, and I've produced the logs with the 'export all logs' from that server after I had killed the Win8 remote client. So the two logs are quasi from the same session - so as you advised I would have a client AND a server log to be compared.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It looks like the server is trying to stream to the client, so I think the most likely problem is firewall settings (maybe MP installer failed to set it up properly on the Win 8 client). RTSP uses TCP to set up the connection, and UDP for the actual data streaming - it looks like TCP is being allowed through, but the incoming UDP traffic is blocked.

fboecom

Portal Member
    January 3, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I checked the firewall setting on the different machines - some screenshots here, sorry the 2 Win8 machines are in Dutch. I see strange things - I never changed anything: the Win8 AMD client only doesnt have MP private settings (the Win7 I7 client only does). Further I see no outbound MP settings on teh TVServer but that must be normal(?). Lastly the Client only machines also have TV Server entries that point to C:\Progra...etc\TVServer - but that exe doesnt exist - not on the Win8 client (that fails) nor on the Win7 client (that works). Pretty misty stuff. By writing here I realize the Win7 is English and the Win8 are Dutch windows versions. I hope that isnt making the difference... Anyway I'll try to add the MP private settings, I saw there is a Win7 firewall script - will work for Win8 too?[DOUBLEPOST=1369946145][/DOUBLEPOST]OK I decided to give it a quick try - and it is fixed indeed. I opened the advanced firewall settings, only configured the MediaPortal entries (not the MP TV Server) and set the domain from public (Openbaar) to also include private (Prive) and set the protocol from UDP to All (Willekeurig). Bingo. I switched the protocol back from All to UDP and still OK. So (let's be specific) the MP client-only install on my AMD Phenom X4 Win8Pro Dutch machine did not configure the right firewall settings. It configured it for public only and not for private.

Attachments

• WIN8 AMD client only firewall.jpg
      WIN8 AMD client only firewall.jpg
      346.7 KB
    • Win 8 I5 Client-plus-TVServer.jpg
      Win 8 I5 Client-plus-TVServer.jpg
      289.8 KB
    • Win7 I7 client only.jpg
      Win7 I7 client only.jpg
      200 KB
    • Win8 I5 Client-plus-TVServer outbound.jpg
      Win8 I5 Client-plus-TVServer outbound.jpg