MP1-4100 Rework Refresh Rate when using multi monitor (1 Viewer)

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    That a feature :)
    If someone want to work on it but Team need to accept it :)

rogerleifert

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2009
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I don't know if the DRR fix works for me.

I have a 3 monitor/ 2 GFX-card (ATI) system as you can see on the attached snapshot of the display configuration.
    Display #2 is the windows primary desktop on a full-HD TFT (ATI HD4200 GFX-card)
    Display #3 is a windows extended desktop 600x800 VGA monitor on my HTPC case (ATI HD4200 embedded GFX)
    Display #1 is a windows extended desktop on my full-HD TV-set (separate ATI HD5400 GFX-card) where MP is running.

Now what irritates me is, that I don't get any on-screen message from DRR about the (changing) refreshrate when e.g. I change from an HD-channel with 50p format to an SD-channel with 25i format or the other way around.

So I tested with two different settings:

1.)
    -MP-Setting in TV-settings: Fallback Deinterlace-->Disabled (Progressive)
    -LAV-Video Decoder settings-->Deinterlacing method-->disabled (progressive); Hardware Acceleration: DXVA2; YADIF deinterlacing: disabled

SHIFT "!" gives...

-with SD-Channel at 25i:
    Display: 1920x1080 @ 50Hz, Meas. rfsh: 50Hz
    Video: 720x576 16:9 Actual FPS:25FPS
    Rptd FPS: 25 Detd FPS:25
    (my TV shows 1080p on Info-screen, but should show 1080i)

-with HD-Channel at 50p:
    Video: 1920x7206 16:9, Actual FPS:starts smooth then after a few seconds jumps between 25FPS and 30FPS irregularly though the picture is smooth.
    Rptd FPS: 50 Detd FPS:50

2.)
    -MP-Setting in TV-settings: Fallback Deinterlace-->Best
    -LAV-Video Decoder settings-->Deinterlacing method-->Auto; Hardware Acceleration: DXVA2; YADIF deinterlacing --> enabled

Now when I press SHIFT "!" to see the FPS info I get...

with SD-Channel at 25i:
    Video: 720x576 16:9 Actual FPS:starts smooth then after a few seconds jumps between 25FPS and 30FPS irregularly though the picture is smooth.
    (my TV shows 1080p on Info-screen, but should show 1080i)

with HD-Channel at 50p:
    Video: 1920x7206 16:9, Actual FPS:starts smooth then after a few seconds jumps between 25FPS and 35FPS irregularly though the picture is smooth.

Logs are attached for both tests as well as screenshots from the SHIFT "!" infos.

Deinterlacing seems to work quite well, because the running texts (especially on CNBC with 3 different text-bands with different speeds) all look clear.

When as a test I start MP on the windows primary desktop (Display #2) I get at least the refresh-rate message when starting TV for the first time, even though my TFT only supports 60Hz!
    So I am quite confused.

Still one question for understanding:

When I do the deinterlacing by the HTPC (e.g. LAV-Video-Decoder with YADIF turned on), then DRR doesn't make sense, or does it?
    So for the test Nr.1 I have disabled YADIF, but deinterlacing is still turned on in CCC (or "AMD Vision Engine Control Center", as it is called now).
    There it can't be turned off, but there is only an option to select the method of deinterlacing from "automatic" to "manual selection" in the section VIDEO-->QUALITY-->VIDEO QUALITY.

Do I have to make any settings in MP configuration for deinterlacing, that affect DRR like in TV/RADIO-->TV-->Additional settings --> Fallback Deinterlace-->None or in LAV-Video Decoder settings-->Deinterlacing method-->Disabled?

In my understanding the intention of DRR is to send the data in more or less the original refresh rate of the souce-material to the TV-set.
    So any deinterlacing by MP, the Video decoder or the GFX-driver should be turned off.
    Am I right with this?

Kind regards

Roger

Attachments

• MultiMonitorSetup1.jpg
      MultiMonitorSetup1.jpg
      79.7 KB
    • Setup1 50p material.jpg
      Setup1 50p material.jpg
      275.7 KB
    • Setup1.25i material.jpg
      Setup1.25i material.jpg
      231.5 KB
    • Setup2 25i material.jpg
      Setup2 25i material.jpg
      262.5 KB
    • Setup2.50p material.jpg
      Setup2.50p material.jpg
      218.9 KB

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,

Quite a big reports :) and i'm not sure if i can answer you for all your question :(
    I can for sure explain on what i have tested :

DRR was broken (even on single monitor) in some case.
    The rework done here, is to be able to refreshrate the screen set in MP Configuration.

What i mean here :
    - If MP start on Display #1 : DRR will try to change refreshreate for it
    - If MP start on Display #2 : DRR will try to change refreshreate for it
    - If MP start on Display #3 : DRR will try to change refreshreate for it

Because in current MP code (1.5.0Final) MP try to refresh the not correct Display.

About notification on screen, i need to try it but i suppose that if nothing appear, it's because same refreshrate or multiple refreshrate are the same. (like 25 for 50).
    About 1080p or 1080i, that a good question (from my windows all refreshrate 'default in windows' seems to be 'p' and not 'i'.

So DRR i think has nothing to do with 'p' or 'i' but just try to change frequency and change is done if Display accept it.
    I don't know about Deinterlace setting in MP, i'm not sure this setting is working for LAV (i think it's working for Microsoft codec only) and the best way to play with this Deinterlace setting is to play with Yadif thingy in LAV Video codec.

I hope it can give you some answer even it i'm not sure it will help you.

Seb. :)

vuego

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 5, 2006
    Göteborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I don't get any on-screen message from DRR about the (changing) refreshrate when e.g. I change from an HD-channel with 50p format to an SD-channel with 25i format
    You shouldn't since MP will use 50 Hz on both those formats hence DRR will not change refresh rate.
    When I do the deinterlacing by the HTPC (e.g. LAV-Video-Decoder with YADIF turned on), then DRR doesn't make sense, or does it?
    DRR still makes sense because deinterlacing will only convert 25i to "50p" but you still need to set the display to 50 Hz.

Actual FPS:starts smooth then after a few seconds jumps between 25FPS and 30FPS irregularly though the picture is smooth.
    This is the same issue I had when using Windows 7 and a single graphics card except my video wasn't smooth. However using two different graphics cards or Windows 8 helped. Seems you already use MP on a separate graphics card so I don't know what's going on, sorry.

rogerleifert

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2009
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    SUCCESS!

I don't get any on-screen message from DRR about the (changing) refreshrate when e.g. I change from an HD-channel with 50p format to an SD-channel with 25i format
    You shouldn't since MP will use 50 Hz on both those formats hence DRR will not change refresh rate.

I found a US-DVD in NTSC-Format (30 Hz, interlaced) and when I played the disc I got the message "NTSC@59Hz" which means MP has deinterlaced the material and send it in 60p to the screen (Deinterlacing in LAV turned ON).
    SHIFT "!" showed me that settings are right: Rptd FPS: 30 Detd FPS:60

When I switched back to PAL-TV I got the message "PAL@50Hz".
    So it seems that DRR works OK.

DRR still makes sense because deinterlacing will only convert 25i to "50p" but you still need to set the display to 50 Hz.
    Now I understand it more clearer.

Actual FPS:starts smooth then after a few seconds jumps between 25FPS and 30FPS irregularly though the picture is smooth.
    This is the same issue I had when using Windows 7 and a single graphics card except my video wasn't smooth. However using two different graphics cards or Windows 8 helped. Seems you already use MP on a separate graphics card so I don't know what's going on, sorry.

Yes.MP is running on a dedicated GFX on my system.
    But Video looks smooth (especially the rolling text-bands on the news channel or fast moving objects like footballs on sports-shows).
    Audio also is smooth.
    So I dn't think it's a problem.

THX for your help.

Roger

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom