[Finished] MP1-4396 TsReader.ax - Fixes for 'File not found'/'Does not exist' problems using UNC paths (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    https://issues.team-mediaportal.com/browse/MP1-4396

EDIT: This fix will be included in MP 1.8

Windows SMB2/SMB3 file existance cache (at the client) does not get updated quickly enough when a timeshift buffer file is deleted and re-created by TV Server, resulting in 'file open' OS calls failing with 'file does not exist' errors. (SMBx is the protocol Windows uses for remote file sharing - the implementation of this in Windows Vista and later has 'issues' with files that are constantly changing or being deleted and re-created - which happens with the live TV timeshift buffer files in MP)

Best work around that has been found (to force a cache update) seems to be to write a (randomly named) file into the timeshift buffer folder on the server (from the client), and then delete it.

Note that this problem only affects multi-seat client-server Live TV when using the 'UNC paths' option (not RTSP, and not single-seat systems). Using 'UNC paths' for TV is an MP configuration debug mode option - see http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...diaPortal_Configuration/22_TV/5_Debug_Options

The modifications need testing for both the bug fix, and to check that the modifications do not cause any regressions - so the more people who test the better :)

The Git branch is here - https://github.com/MediaPortal/MediaPortal-1/tree/MP1-4396_TsReader_UNC_File_does_not_exist_problem

(There are other re-works and changes in this version to try and generally improve the robustness of the timeshift buffer file handling)

Last edited:

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    To install the test file, stop MP, go to C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal (or C:\Program Files(x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal), make a backup copy of the original TsReader.ax, extract the new version from the zip file and copy it into the folder. Start MP.
    First version - v3.0.82.5

Attachments

• TsReader_v3_0_82_5.zip
      176.8 KB

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'm still in love with this version @Owlsroost ;)
    Been running it for weeks without issues and it has been tested on a whole bunch of 2-3 hour LiveTV sessions.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I'm still in love with this version @Owlsroost ;)
    Been running it for weeks without issues and it has been tested on a whole bunch of 2-3 hour LiveTV sessions.

Good :)

The version above has some more changes (mostly to make sure it behaves sensibly when errors occur), so it would be good if you could test it please.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The version above has some more changes (mostly to make sure it behaves sensibly when errors occur), so it would be good if you could test it please.
    Sure, no problem.

I assume those changes aren't in the branch yet then? I'm updating my fork once a week, so i'm always using latest stuff from the 4396 branch.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Sure, no problem.

I assume those changes aren't in the branch yet then? I'm updating my fork once a week, so i'm always using latest stuff from the 4396 branch.

Yes, they are, so if you're building from the Git branch you should have the latest version - I pushed the latest update on 27th March (a week ago). It was the 'Been running it for weeks' comment that made me think you were running an older version ;)

Brudertac

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2006
    Augsburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If i "have" this error, how will i see it?
    I ask because those 2 Links in Jira are not Public for anyone.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    If i "have" this error, how will i see it?
    I ask because those 2 Links in Jira are not Public for anyone.
    Yeah, sorry, those are from the internal forum (mostly shows pages of my test results, so you don't miss out much there) ;)

If you have this error, you'll definitly notice it when watching TV, because it would stop playback. And then you'll get the following message in your TsReader.log:
    FileReader::Read() no open file

It has been a Known Issue for a long time, but Owlsroost has managed to fix it. (y)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom