MP1-4635 Gamepad support (1 Viewer)

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    can't get my logitech rumblepad2 running with MP1 v1.12, System works fine for MP1 using mouse/keyboard for control.

I was surprised to find the rumblepad2 in "old computer junk" box, 1st time I've seen this in 5+ years and decided to give it a try. Installed USB dongle, win8.1 did a bunch of setup. See rumblepad2 in Printers/Devices, and used the windows "test" function to verify windows sees all rumblepad2 buttons etc. So windows side of setup seems to be working.

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ion/MediaPortal_Configuration/8_Remote/01_HID
    Used wiki (some users RTFM) and enabled both HID and extended logging, started MP1, and don't see any signs of HID/rumblepad2 activity. Don't see anything about HID activity in log files. If I edit MediaPortal.xml, I see the following lines in the "remote section" so I think I have HID/rumblepad enabled.
    <entry name="HidEnabled">yes</entry>
    <entry name="HidVerbose">yes</entry>
    <entry name="HidRepeatDelayInMs">-1</entry>
    <entry name="HidRepeatSpeedInMs">-1</entry>

Is there something else missing?

In this message https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...e-gamepad-in-mediaportal.129662/#post-1124599 it mentions a
    C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\InputDeviceMappings folder and a Generic-HID.xml file. I did NOT have this folder/file after doing an "update install" MP1 v1.12. I made the folder, copied the file, and still don't see any signs of HID/rumblepad2.

See attached log file. In the log file

###### is where I unplugged USB-rumblepad2 dongle
    [2015-10-26 14:42:24,999] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - Main: WM_DEVICECHANGE (Event: DBT_DEVICEREMOVECOMPLETE)

###### is where l plugged the USB dongle back in, and I see HID game controller, still does not work
    [2015-10-26 14:42:35,332] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - Main: Device type is DBT_DEVTYP_DEVICEINTERFACE - Name: HID-compliant game controller

Any ideas? What should I be seeing in log files if MP is seeing HID/rumblepad2? I did a number of rumblepad2 "button pushes" before/after I did USB dongle unplug/replug

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The folder and file you mention will only be created if you customize your buttons mapping. It's not needed for default HID usage. You can safely delete it unless you have some customization of your own.
    I would have expected that hardware to work out-of-the-box. Then again gamepads are bit more tricky than remotes when it comes to generic HID support. Though last I tested the cordless variant of that gamepad it worked just fine.

Look for "HID:" in the logs. No need to unplug/replug usually. Somewhere in the forums I published a standalone application you could use to test your HID device. I'll try dig it up for you.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Last edited:

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    ShortCut'er was the problem, disabled using ShortCut'er and rumblepad2/HID works as expected. I deleted the HID folder/file I made earlier.

I had to use MP config tool 3-4 times to get ShortCut'er disabled. I would do the "disable" press "ok", wait till done, then start MP1 client. The 1st few times I tried that, the ShortCut'er was still enabled and I could see it get started in the log files. I'd run MP-config again and see ShortCut'er was still enabled even though I had done a "disable", after doing 2-3 more tries to disable, the settings finally got updated and worked correctly.

Updated to the newest ShortCut'er 2.1.3 and MP1 works correctly with both rumblepad2/HID and my normal Flirc/Remote configuration..

A few HID/rumblepad questions. I often use MP in a dual-screen configuration. Secondary display/hdmi/tv is MP-client for "tv" viewing in the background. Primary display is "computer monitor" using keyboard/mouse for "computer stuff" like email, web browser, etc.

1. Is there a way to start MP client using HID/rumblepad?

2. Is there a way to "get focus" using HID/rumblepad if MP client looses focus?

3. Is there a way to "force/lock HID input" so HID/rumblepad commands are always sent to MP client?

Last edited:

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Glad it works then.
    1. Could be done, but no not as it stands.
    2. Same as 1 I guess.
    3. Could be done too but it's not currently possible either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom