MP1 live TV on local WIFI network (1 Viewer)

lodale

Portal Pro
April 9, 2009
Home Country
Norway Norway
Hi, been using MP for several years mostly for live TV. I have a dedicated TV server with 6 DVBS tuners. I have 4-5 PC's running MP clients (all of my PC's are running on Win7 but will probably run Win 10 in a short time). Most of my clients are connected to my local LAN by wire, but I have 2 connected with WIFI. The wired clients work fine, but the WIFI clients have some stuttering and slow channel changing. I know that WIFI can produce latency and therefor the stuttering. The question: is there anyway to perform buffering/transcoding on my TV server (has a lot of power, running normal about 3% of CPU). I also use MP extended (with different settings for speed of internet) when I am out on the WAN, but I think it shouldn't be necessary to have to use a WEB browser on my local MP clients.
Are there any ways to transcode live TV to local clients? If I run Kodi clients on my Win7 PC's will this help?

Hoping for suggestions...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello :)

The question: is there anyway to perform buffering/transcoding on my TV server (has a lot of power, running normal about 3% of CPU).
    Not that I'm aware of.

What speed is your Wi-Fi? (eg. 54 Mb/s 802.11g, 150 Mb/s 802.11n)
    Are you using RTSP or UNC for timeshifting?
    Have you tried increasing TsReader's buffer setting?

Log files would be interesting...

lodale

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    My WIFI speed is set to 802.11g/n.
    I have tried both RTSP and UNC for timeshifthing , same problem.
    How do I increase TS buffering?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    My WIFI speed is set to 802.11g/n.
    Okay, but are the clients actually 802.11n capable... or only g?

How do I increase TS buffering?
    By setting the value of a registry key:
    New feature: Registry key added to adjust data buffering time - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Team MediaPortal\TsReader, set "BufferingDelayInMilliSeconds" to a (decimal) value in milliseconds (range is 0 to 2000, default is 0). Note - this will add delay to live TV channel changes since it needs to build up the buffer before play starts.

lodale

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi, sorry for late reply.
    My client PC (32GB Version Vensmile W10 MINI PC TV BOX wintel box windows 8.1 OS Intel Atom Z3735F Quad Core 1.33Ghz CPU 2G RAM Mini compute) supports 802.11n, my WIFI router (Cisco WAP4410N Wireless-N Access Point) is set to only transmit on the N band.
    How do I execute HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Team MediaPortal\TsReader?

lodale

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Seems that the integrated WIFI adapter in the Vensmile W10 is poor. I put a USB WIFI adapter (802.11N) in the USB port, and now it seems to be working on HD channels. Still running on UNC paths with delay set to 100.
    If mm1352000 would like to view my logfiles, what files would be best and should it be from the server or client?

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If mm1352000 would like to view my logfiles, what files would be best and should it be from the server or client?
    As always: all from both client and server, and please use the watchdog where possible.
    Server logs to check that the incoming stream is okay.
    Client logs to check the playback.

resa

Portal Pro
    February 24, 2008
    the sunny side.
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    aditionally..

- check if your wlan-router/ap has poor cpu... if it is less then apporx. 600mhz singlecore it can produce additional lags due to overstraining with WPA2 en/decryption, error correction, resending packets etc... important to have a look here especially, if there are other clients active at the same time, i.e. facebooking and whatsapping phones/tablets, xboxes or playstations etc.. poor cpu can causing extremly disorderd packets at receivers side what makes exorbitant buffering neccessary...

- if you have many neighbors around you, try to check your smartphones app-store for an wifi analyzing tool, i.e. wifi-analyzer for android (free), scan how many wilreless networks are around you and trace for a while in what manner they are changing the channels... the auto-channel-changing on routers can cumulate and perverting into having twenty routers around and all are changing channels every few seconds due to other routers have the same idea to change on same channel too until channel is full again and changing starts over ... producing enormous extra-lags... in such cases it can be better to determine an channel that is not choosen often by the other routers and fix your own router to this channel...

- look what frequencys are used by other networks... most commonly 2,4 Ghz is spammed like hell, check if 5 Ghz is clear around you and switch to 5ghz router and network-cards... you can also spread some additional ap's that are connected with lan-cable or power-lan to your router to fix the wlan-situation... etc.

honestly... the best recommenmdation for wifi-problems was, is and will be ....

to drill that dammned holes into the walls and put some cat 6 into every client...

and all problems ending instantly ;))

how ever, good luck and best regards ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom