MP1, New Install, crashes when I turn on TV (1 Viewer)

Kevin G

January 2, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hello:
I am very new to MediaPortal and a recent convert from Microsoft MCE. My system is a recent fresh load of Windows 10. Its an older i7 laptop with 8gb memory and 480gb SSD. No other issues exist based on a few weeks use of other apps. I have two tuners connected, generic but recognized by Windows 10 and MediaPortal.

My end goal is to have MediaPortal as the backend TV server for OTA channels only. I hope to use Kodi on the front end from an NVidia Shield console in the TV room. At this point, I am just trying to get MediaPortal working on the one machine as the server and client to simply view TV.

I should add that I installed NextPVR yesterday and got to the liveTV viewing feature and it crashed too ("Stopped Working" error in Windows).

My Issue - When I use the client app on the same PC as the server, I turn the TV button on and after 2-3 seconds, I get a Windows dialog box titled "MediaPortal". The error is Media Portal has stopped working, Windows will close the program and notify me of a solution. I then only have the "Close Program" button.

I setup the system today following the Wiki:
1) Installed the app
2) Configured the tuners (Scanned channels on both and found the correct channels
3) Configured the Recording Folder and Live TV buffer folder (both on an external SATA drive)
4) I signed up for Scheduled Direct but I have not linked it to MediaPortal yet, not quite sure how to. Would welcome a good guide on linking to Schedules Direct. I really don't want to have a manual process for updating the guide.

The USB TV Tuners are showing as "AVerMedia TECHNOLOGIES, Inc, TV Starter Kit for WIndows".

Another annoying problem is that I have a laptop and an attached 24" display. The external display is my main screen and the laptop is tucked away in a corner. MediaPortal client seems to only open on the laptop screen. Does anyone have a fix for that?

I have attached the logfile. Can anyone offer words of wisdom for this TV down family!

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin G

January 2, 2016
Home Country
UPDATE
1) I got the EPG working and can see all the correct date in the guide.
2) The MediaPortal client crashes every time I select TV. Kodi does the same although I've really not spent too much time configuring that.

I decided to remove my two AVes USB tuners and put in a USB Hauppauge 950 which I know was working on MCE. I rescanned the channels in TV setup and have the same problem, MediaPortal crashes as soon as I select TV.

Please help.....

Kevin.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome Kevin

1) I got the EPG working and can see all the correct date in the guide.
    Great. :)

2) The MediaPortal client crashes every time I select TV.
    I can see this happening, but I can't see the cause. Unfortunately all that's in your MediaPortal log is:
    [2016-01-02 15:00:37,609] [Log ] [MPMain ] [WARN ] - Main: MediaPortal is already running

Not very useful, right?

Could you please first configure MediaPortal's TV decoder (codec) preferences:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...nfiguration/9_Codecs_and_Renderer/1_TV_Codecs

(Wouldn't hurt to do video, DVD and Blu-Ray codecs at the same time.)
    A reasonable first pass would be to select the LAV option for all except audio renderer (for which I recommend you select the default DirectSound option).

After that, please ensure MediaPortal is closed and use the Watchdog tool with option 1 to collect log files again.

I decided to remove my two AVes USB tuners and put in a USB Hauppauge 950 which I know was working on MCE. I rescanned the channels in TV setup and have the same problem, MediaPortal crashes as soon as I select TV.
    Yeah, this is a MediaPortal problem, not a TV Server problem. It's gonna happen regardless of the tuner(s) you use. You can put the AVerMedia ones back in... or leave 'em out, whatever works for you.

Regards,
    mm

Kevin G

January 2, 2016
    Home Country
    First off - Thank you. I checked the codecs as you suggested. I know I had the LAV package downloaded and I know they showed up in the options when I originally setup. Anyways, I had two of them set to FFLMPEG or something like that. I changed them and was about to setup to capture a better error log. When I setup the watcher, the media portal client started and went into TV. Absolutely awesome. I know I had all in LAV at one point but whatever it was, I am happy.

Now I am back to my main goal of connecting an Android client (Nvidia Shield). I actually made good progress and have the TV option and guide on the android. When I hit play on a channel, I get an error flash up that says it cannot access C:\ProgramData\TeamMedia (or whatever the MediaPortal folder is). I know I added my Windows credentials in the device. I also setup a new user with specific permissions to the directory it was looking in. Still no joy. I know I am close.

Its an intriguing model with the clients, server and add-ins. I look forward to learning more and fine tuning my setup to have what I want.

Kevin.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    When I setup the watcher, the media portal client started and went into TV. Absolutely awesome.
    Haha, isn't that the way it always seems to go. :)

Now I am back to my main goal of connecting an Android client (Nvidia Shield).
    Sorry, this is not something I can help with. Hopefully somebody else will be able to assist you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom