MP1 or MP2 (1 Viewer)

celesta

Portal Member
February 7, 2011
Hello (sorry my poor english),

I Never devellop any plugin for mediaportal.
There is a lot of example and tuto for MP1 but just a little text in the wiki for MP2.

Do you think it's better for me to devellop my plugin in MP1 and wait for more doc for MP2. Or MP1 and MP2 plugin developpment are totaly different and it's difficult to migrate a plugin from MP1 to MP2.

Thanks.

Baboonanza

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 5, 2010
    North London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    How easy it is to migrate from MP1 to MP2 is dependant on exactly what the plugin does, so it's difficult to give a clear answer. Basically the more GUI stuff is in it the more effort it will be to migrate. If all of the difficult code is doing something in the back-end then that code can just be used in MP2 and the coversion cost will be small. My opinion is that MP2 plugins can actually be simpler in a lot of cases becase there is less farting around with GUI elements directly in the code, but then I'm an MP2 developer so I would say that :)

I would suggest making it for MP1, but having a quick look at plugins for MP2 (Weather is simplest) to get rough idea how they work so that you can write it in a way that makes transition easier later.

celesta

Portal Member
    February 7, 2011
    My goal is to make a plugin for browsing video (as the standard video) but without using database. The cover and watched tag are file with the same name as the video file (editing information would be simple without any software). So i can put the video in a nas and acces all video, cover and watched tag in any computer.

But in MP1 there is good article in the wiki for beginner and example for funtions. In MP2 i don't find doc for function to load a video, event to know when it's finish, ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom