[solved] MP1 TV-Service.exe crashes Win8.1 and Win10 on Asus Z170M-Plus, LGA 1151, Skylake i5 (1 Viewer)

JET

Portal Member
October 5, 2012
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi.
Been using MP several years with great joy.
Updated my system to new cpu: Intel Skylake i5-6600K, MB: Asus Z170M-plus Micro ATX, 8Gb Dual DDR4 RAM.
Samsung 840EVO 250GB SSD as systemdrive. Windows on SSD C:\. MediaPortal and MediaPortal TV-Service on SSD D:\
Fast boot, runs smoothly.
All win-updates installed. And after the first MediaPortal-failure: Bios updated. MB-drivers updated. All done thursday august 13, 2015.
Installed singleseat MediaPortal 1.11 Final and tried 1.12 Final also as 1.11 didnt work. But with same result.
System crashes with BSOD "Blue Screen Of Death" with message:
"Kernel Security Check Failure". The system keeps booting and shuts down after a few seconds with this message.
In cmd-line at system recovery I can rename TVSERVICE.exe so the service wont start when Windows start and then everything is fine and system is ok. Reactivate TVSERVICE and it crashes again. So no doubt its TVSERVICE :((
Can anyone help with this??
Full MediaPortal log is uploaded.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Welcome to the forum! :)

System crashes with BSOD "Blue Screen Of Death" with message:
    BSODs indicate low level problems. Software such as TV Server can only trigger them indirectly. For example, TV Server might trigger it when it attempts to interact with your tuner.

I suggest you double check that you have the right driver installed for your tuner, and that the tuner is compatible with your motherboard.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Looking at your log files, the BSOD seems to be triggered when TV Server's idle/background EPG grabber tries to use your tuner. So, I'm pretty sure this is an issue with your tuner driver... or perhaps the driver for the USB controller you've connected it to.

JET

Portal Member
    October 5, 2012
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Thanks for the input mm1352000, sounds very plausible
    I have 3 tuners, all are USB-connected: Hauppauge TD500 Nova T for 1 band, Winfast DTV Dongle Gold BDA Device for another frequenzy and TerraTec H7 rev. 4 with Cam for scrambled Terrestrial T2.
    I will try to remove the tuners and re-install 1 by 1 to se if that solves anything. Have tried to download the latest 64-bit drv for TerraTec H7, but that wouldnt install. The driver for the WinFast is from Windows update and the driver for Hauppauge is 3.11.31107.
    Will return to tell how it goes. Just need to get my system back together--- I got annoyed after days where I could't get it to work and deinstalled all hardware and went back to my old system.
    So i will have to put it back together again :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    In case it helps, the crash I saw was when TV Server was attempting to use the H7 tuner.

JET

Portal Member
    October 5, 2012
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    SOLVED :)
    As You so helpfully pointed out it WAS a tuner-related problem.
    The "Winfast DTV Dongle Gold BDA Device" as Windows calls it (Tradename: "MSI Digi Vox mini ll") was the sinner!!
    Even though the driver was from Windows update it was the 1 making things crash.
    The TerraTec H7 rev.4 Terrestrial DVB-T2 works fine but NOT the H7 that only have Terrestrial DVB-T (I tried to replace the MSI-tuner with this TerraTec H7 DVB-T tuner, but that makes it crash too :( )
    The "Hauppauge TD500 Nova DVB-T", or as Windows calls it: "Hauppauge Win-TV-Nova-TD Stick DVB-T Tuner Device" Works just fine too :)
    So I will have to buy a new tuner for my needed 3'rd frequenzy.

So thank You again mm1352000 for pointing me in the right direction. VERY helpful.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the update. I'm happy to have been able to help. :)

JET

Portal Member
    October 5, 2012
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    :) :)[DOUBLEPOST=1439678545][/DOUBLEPOST]By the way, is there a way to add "Solved" to the "Title" of this thread?? Or is that not how things are done in forum?

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    There is. You should see a "thread options" with a drop down menu at the top of the screen. There is an option to modify the thread title where you can also change the prefix.

Set to "solved" as per your request.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom