MP2 - V2.1 MP2.1.3 doesn't install without .net 4.7 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vsrawat

Portal Member
October 13, 2010
Home Country
India India
yesterday I downloaded MP2.1.3 (File Version 2.1.1712.10518), some 96 MB of the same.

on installing it aborts saying dotnet 4.7 is not supported on this system (I am on w8, having upto dotnet4.6.1 installed)

whereas your requirements file clearly says it requires.
.NET Framework 4.5.1 Full (or newer)

So, when I have upto .net 4.6.1 installed why is it aborting.

please correct the information in Requirements files.

Also, as other reuirements files also mention similar things, I am apprehensive about downloading other versions whether they will install or abort.

Please tell me which is the version of your software that will run on w8, with .net4.6.1

Thanks.

vsrawat

Portal Member
October 13, 2010
Home Country
India India
not ".net 4.6.1", but .net 4.6 is installed on my w8.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Net 4.6.1 is necessary for MP2.1.3 and for some reason the installer fails. The reason I can only tell, if you upload the log files.
    Just install is manually from here and it should work.

vsrawat

Portal Member
    October 13, 2010
    Home Country
    India India
    Net 4.6.1 is necessary for MP2.1.3 and for some reason the installer fails. The reason I can only tell, if you upload the log files.
    Just install is manually from here and it should work.

I have tried everything found on net to install 4.6.1 and nothing has worked.

Could you please guide me to the version of MP1 or MP2 which can install and run on w8 WITHOUT .net 4.6.1

I think I will download and install that.

Thanks.
    --
    Rawat

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have tried everything found on net to install 4.6.1 and nothing has worked.
    If you can not install it, then you have a windows problem. What exactly is the failure message you receive?
    I have also Windows 8.1 on one HTPC and could install MP2 without problems. I tried the linked package, even though already installed and I could install it again without issues.

Could you please guide me to the version of MP1 or MP2 which can install and run on w8 WITHOUT .net 4.6.1
    I do not know about MP1 and can not help here. Using an older version of MP2 I would also not recommend, as many bug fixes are included in latest version.

vsrawat

Portal Member
    October 13, 2010
    Home Country
    India India
    If you can not install it, then you have a windows problem. What exactly is the failure message you receive?
    I have also Windows 8.1 on one HTPC and could install MP2 without problems. I tried the linked package, even though already installed and I could install it again without issues.

I have winodws 8, and have up to .net 4.6 installed. But 4.6.1 is just not installing, aborting saying "unspecified error".

I do not know about MP1 and can not help here. Using an older version of MP2 I would also not recommend, as many bug fixes are included in latest version.

my bad luck. if latest version of MP2 is not installing without .net 4.6.1, I am destined to use an earlier version.
    so maybe any developer or user can tell me which MP1 or MP2 doesn't need 4.6.1 and would work with .net 4.6 or earlier.

Thanks.

vsrawat

Portal Member
    October 13, 2010
    Home Country
    India India
    Also, as you know that .net 4.6.2 and above are just not supported on windows 8. I think they need w8.1.

so if you releasing future versions of MP1 or MP2 that require .net 4.6.2 or newer, they will not work on w8. This will put a hurdle to users. And then you will do bug fixes and improvement in this 4.6.2 compatible MP1 or MP2, and as ge2301 said above, using earlier version of MP would create problems.

So, it is to be thought by developers which way to take MP to.

It is all confusion created by MS -
    1. why would some .net or some ie or some edge not work on particular windows version which are also released by MS?
    2. why can't we uninstall .net just like we uninstall other software through control panel - Programs and Features, and we have to go cryptic route of identifying particular KB, locate that and uninstall. And then reinnstall that .net
    3. why is w8.1 not able to be installed as an independent os, and why it has to be upgraded from w8. My pc has w8, but it doesn't allow to be upgraded to w8.1 as it says it is some particular release that will not be upgraded to w8.1, so I am stuck with w8.
    4. I have installed w10 some four times, but after a week or so, its carona, edge disappear from quicklaunch and stop working, and also right click doesn't work that brings start menu, so I had to format that.

So, I am stuck with w8 with .net 4.6, it will not go to w8.1, it will not go to w10, it will not go to .net 4.6.1 or above.

not my fault really, you would agree. but I am helpless.

And I am sure there would be millions like me who are helpless in similar or other ways, just because a software giant has forgotten to use discretion and consideration.

We are children of lesser gods, I don't know whether MP developers will cater to our requirements, or dump us just like their MS counterparts have done.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    On Windows 8 the .NET 4.6.1 framework is part of the Windows Update. So if you kept your system up to date it should be installed already.
    Aside this you can try the .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool to fix common .NET errors
    The most recent .NET 4.5.x, 4.6.x and 4.7.x are all available even for Win 7. But Win 8 is abandoned by Microsoft as 8.1 is the only maintained and supported Version of the Win 8 family since many years now...

just not supported on windows 8. I think they need w8.1.
    Maybe it's time to upgrade? Win 8 is not well supported, nowhere. Windows 8 was a complete disaster for MS. You may find much better support for 7 than for 8 everywhere. Aside this, a Windows 10 Pro licence costs around 3€ here in (normally very expensive) Germany. Even the free upgrade still is working if you invest few minutes of googleing. And Win 10 is much, much, much, much better than 8 and 8.1...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom