MP2.1 Audio Playback keyboard arrow keys not working (1 Viewer)

bilkusg

Portal Member
March 12, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I've been using MP1 for a while, and with the release of MP2.1 decided it was a good opportunity to try it out. Mostly it seems to be working well, although the documentation regarding the use of a keyboard to control it seems to be hard to fathom - I would be happy to help update it once I understand it myself!

When I play TV or videos, the left and right arrow keys allow me to skip forward and backward just like MP1, but when I play audio, they move between the pause/stop/ff/,mute icone and without a mouse it appears to be impossible to skip within a track. The settings for audio allow you to set the skip steps, so surely they are meant to work. Is this a bug or am I just being silly, or is there an undocumented keystroke I should be using, or is there something weird about my setup?

I've tried this on two different machines ( both Windows 10 64 bit ).

I've tried searching for other posts on this issue and not found any, so am I alone with this problem?

thanks for any help
Gary

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ialthough the documentation regarding the use of a keyboard to control it seems to be hard to fathom
    This Wiki part is currently WiP, so things should soon get better.:)

When I play TV or videos, the left and right arrow keys allow me to skip forward and backward just like MP1, but when I play audio, they move between the pause/stop/ff/,mute icone and without a mouse it appears to be impossible to skip within a track.
    I can confirm the behavior at my side.

Is this a bug
    Actually I don't know if this has ever been implemented. I agree though that the behavior is surprising at first sight. The issue with the arrows is that they are essentially meant to navigate on the screen and not supposed to control the player. In this respect TV/Video is an exception. What should work are the media keys on a keyboard, i.e. the FastForward and Rewind buttons, to which the skip setting value applies. I assume though that your keyboard is not having such keys, correct?

bilkusg

Portal Member
    March 12, 2011
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks for the speedy response. I don't have FastForward and Rewind buttons, but more to the point, I can't find such keys defined in any of the standard Microsoft places, only MediaNextTrack and MediaPreviousTrack whcih seem to be completely different. I've had a very unscientific look at the MP2 source code,and I can't find anything in there which refers to FastForward except in the various infrared drivers. So it appears as though there's actually neither a key binding for FastForward nor a Windows event which will simulate it with something like eventghost.

Is there a configuration file which would allow me to map specific keystrokes to the S:Fwd internal key, which appears from your answer to be what actually causes the behaviour I want?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    only MediaNextTrack and MediaPreviousTrack whcih seem to be completely different.
    And that seems to be the only thing that has been implemented. Even with a remote I can't fast forward within the same track but only jump to the next or the previous one.

Therefore I am skeptical that the function you are looking for is currently implemented. Maybe @Brownard can say more...

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It's currently not possible to FRW and FFW in audio tracks, that's why the buttons do not appear. But you can click to any positions in the progress bar and the player will jump to this position. With keyboard it's not possible though. I agree that this is a week point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom