[Finished] [MP2-216] Scrolling fix (1 Viewer)

JSchuricht

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2009
    Arizona
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I can't seem to locate the thread now but there was a thread I vaguely recall reading about the difficulties in navigating MP2 due to using the same up down left right buttons on the remote to navigate both lists and menus. Frankly, scrolling all the way through a list to get to a menu option is insane. Take for instance a large series like Simpsons, with 400+ episodes you don't want to hold the down button for 20 minutes to get to the most recent one. Similarly on a large movie collection, several thousand in my case, if you don't know what you want to watch and you want to start from the bottom you can't do it like you could with MP1/moving pictures and if you are at the bottom you don't want to hold the up button for 30 minutes to click on a menu option.

I have a thought on how to help this issue. Two quick clicks to take you to the edge of a list. Ie, press down twice in a row jumps to the bottom. Then if you want back to the top to click a menu option, two taps on the up button to get to the top of the list then one more to get to the menu. It's not perfect but I think it could help navigation a lot without a complete rewright of the navigation.

Nikki Locke

Portal Pro
    February 2, 2019
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    This is on my list to look at.

I don't like the idea of two ups or two downs to go to the end - what if you just want to go down 2 items?

The suggestion in the bug report is to use left and right for this, but that might be complicated in (e.g.) file browsers where you need left and right to go between selecting an item and expanding a folder, and overshooting outside the list would be annoying (unless you could come back to where you were easily).

What about using the skip forward/backward buttons on a remote, to be equivalent to End/Home on a keyboard?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Remember that we use Channel +/- (or Page up/down on the keyboard) to jump to the top or the bottom in list views. I've never tested this in settings lists though.

What about using the skip forward/backward buttons on a remote, to be equivalent to End/Home on a keyboard?
    Home/End on a keyboard appears very intuitive. The situation on a remote is obviously different and there is also Rew/Fwd besides the Replay/skip keys. Whatever is used, I guess it's just a question of documenting this correctly.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I don't like the idea of two ups or two downs to go to the end - what if you just want to go down 2 items?
    I thought about the whole thing again and remembered that we had some more discussion about this in another thread - that I can't find now.

The best use case is if you want to select your language, which brings up the Microsoft language selection, i.e. an extremely long list where you need to scroll considerably until you reach the entry that you would like to select. Yet, when in a list the only way to move is up or down. Somebody suggested that pressing Right or Left should immediately get you to the bottom of the list and highlight either OK or Cancel. That said, if Home (Pos1 on a German keyboard) or End gets you to the beginning and end of a list view, the user would then see the command buttons to confirm or cancel his selection.

MP2 makes it easy to display helper texts, so shortly referring to Home/End and Channel +/- for quickly navigating through the list would be a great help.

In summary I support @Nikki Locke to use Home/End for this purpose.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am quite sure that home/end keys are already usable in list views.
    But IIRC they are not mapped to any remote button yet.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Nikki Locke

Portal Pro
    February 2, 2019
    Home Country
    But IIRC they are not mapped to any remote button yet.

Yes, they are - not sure why the original poster didn't notice that - perhaps they didn't have a keyboard?

Do you agree that Skip Next/Skip Previous are the best keys to use for this?

I had considered Fwd/Rewind keys, but I have my doubts about whether the system detects them in the same way - for instance, attempts to press them to remap them to something else are ignored, and a search for all references to Key.Fwd in the code reveals only 1.

Last edited:

Nikki Locke

Portal Pro
    February 2, 2019
    Home Country
    MP2 makes it easy to display helper texts
    Any pointers to how this is done?

I am still struggling to work out how the code (e.g. ScrollViewer.cs) connects to the xaml files. I assume I would need to add a HelpText attribute to some xaml somewhere, but not sure how to find out where.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yes, I just tried this with a keyboard - what a discovery :). I had no idea. Mapping this to two remote keys would be awesome!

We definitely need to work on the keyboard explanations in the Wiki.

Any pointers to how this is done?
    @aspik , can you provide a few words of explanation how to add a helper text in a screen?

Nikki Locke

Portal Pro
    February 2, 2019
    Home Country
    While you are at it, perhaps you could tell me how and where to find the screens!

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    can you provide a few words of explanation how to add a helper text in a screen?
    I'm not sure what helpers texts you mean? Do you mean a helper text like this? If so, then i.e. this text is configured in plugin.xml of the BassPlayer assembly. Every project in MP2 has this plugin.xml file, because in MP2 each assembly is a plugin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom