[fixed] [MP2-280] Filter by Actor not working with more than 5000 entries (1 Viewer)

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    So I have a rather large collection of movies, and when I try to use "filter by actor" I get a message saying I can't do it because there are more then 5000 actors. Is there a way around this? If not, perhaps there should be an intermediate layer with A-Z and then actors are listed under that for either their first name or surname?

Example:

I want to look up movies with Tom Hanks.

I choose "filter by actor"
    I get a list of A - Z
    I choose "T"
    I get a list of all actors whos name begins with T.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So I have a rather large collection of movies, and when I try to use "filter by actor" I get a message saying I can't do it because there are more then 5000 actors.
    This rang a bell. And when searching my memory (and the Jira) I discovered a bug entry

MP2-280 Medialibrary does not allow to filter/display more than 5000 items

which I closed on Jan 2 since I could easily display a 8-10.000 track music collection. "Show all" automatically had the intermediate A-Z layer with sub-folders.

So far nobody obviously ever had that many movies that he would have been able to run into the 5000 limit and the original Jira dates back to 2013.
    Is there a way around this?
    Currently not.

If not, perhaps there should be an intermediate layer with A-Z and then actors are listed under that for either their first name or surname?
    The limit is hard-coded and was introduced for performance reasons. I checked the internal discussion and activities stalled in 2015 when the original developer was no longer active,

@morpheus_xx , there was activity from @Valk here and some merges had taken place. No idea if a posibile fix was developed, which then didn't find its way into later builds.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Brownard , @morpheus_xx , is there anything that can be done about the 5000 issue? Maybe add something like for music where there is an automatic A-Z categorization to avoid such long lists?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom