[Finished] [MP2-593] Album info to be governed by track metadata (1 Viewer)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    No, but if a track belongs to an album it should not be so difficult.
    We start getting into personal likes here and it can also get very quickly difficult. If you have an album, which say contains 10 songs with five different genres - what should the result at album level be?

Whatever. I don't think that we are looking at a bug since the album info download yields what the online source used to qualify the complete album. Therefore this is more a feature request that I would not immediately know how to programmatically deal with.

I'll move this thread to Feature Request with an adequate thread title.

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    We start getting into personal likes here and it can also get very quickly difficult.
    I completely disagree. In all database musicplayers i know (a lot of) it is possible to have album by genre. All the online stuff is a mess. It's nice to have it in addition, but first tagged metadata of tracks and albums are important.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Helios61 , please don't cite just parts of what I have been writing as the next sentence puts this citation in a different context.

Notwithstanding this is a feature request because MP2 is currently acting the way it was meant to by the programmer. I am not against changing this but that's something to be decided by more than just you and I.

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    As I see it, there are multiple things to consider.
    Is the importer using On-line info or not?
    How is the music separated in the folder structure?
    How are the songs in the Album in question Tagged?

The original assumption when the database (currently in use) was being designed and the importer was first written, that the Folder structure would be used First.
    Example: I have mine setup as
    f:\MPMusic\"Genre"\"Artist"\"Album"\
    One would assume the First Pass would accept this as all items listed under Country (\"Genre\) would all show up under Genre Country. This is Not the case.
    I found a few albums in my Country that the Songs were Tagged as Christmas.
    These Do show up (when sorting as Genre in MP2) as Christmas.

As I said... There are a lot of variables with the MP2 Importer and the method MP2 does Sorting of the DB.
    BTW: I have all On-line scanning Turned Off and still get these results.

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Helios61 , please don't cite just parts of what I have been writing as the next sentence puts this citation in a different context.

Notwithstanding this is a feature request because MP2 is currently acting the way it was meant to by the programmer. I am not against changing this but that's something to be decided by more than just you and I.

But it is not necessary to reinvent the wheel. Do it simply like in WMC, KODI, Foobar2000, Musicbee, Mediamonkey......
    Believe me, it is working great and that the reason, why i become a litlle bit impatient.
    Some sample screenshots are attached (Foobar2000, Musicbee and BubbleUPnP).

Attachments

• Screenshot_5.jpg
      Screenshot_5.jpg
      36.6 KB
    • Screenshot_6.jpg
      Screenshot_6.jpg
      151.8 KB
    • Screenshot_7.jpg
      Screenshot_7.jpg
      556.8 KB
    • Screenshot_8.jpg
      Screenshot_8.jpg
      399.3 KB
    • Screenshot_9.jpg
      Screenshot_9.jpg
      147.9 KB
    • 2017-01-21.jpg
      2017-01-21.jpg
      322.5 KB
    Last edited:

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I would like to prevent the following: In MP1 ~90% of the users did not use the musicdatabase, but the shared view, because both usability and configuration are a confusing mess. Please let's do not make the same mistake twice.
    First we should get it work without any online data. Online data only if there a no tags or the user wants them especially.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You can configure your music that it doesn't use online data. I did this here and consequently I am not getting any info at album level for the criteria in question. Again, I would like to ask what content that field should have. Or in other words, what algorithm should we use to tag the album? The tag of track #1?

Also I seem to belong to the 10% - a number which I challenge, or is there any data supporting this?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    We could start discussing some statistical laws, mainly about representative groups, but I am more interested in hearing your ideas how to realize your request.

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    IMO it is complete nonsense to display an album in Screen A as Genre Rock, the same album in Screen B as Folk. Why do we have to discuss, that this is a mistake? :(:confused:

in hearing your ideas how to realize your request.

Sorry to say that again: It is is bug, not a request. And my ideas i've told again and again and again.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom