[solved] [MP2-772-773] improve busy cursor and settings loading (1 Viewer)

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Digsy @HTPCSourcer @Developers @Testers

Following @Digsy 's report here, I have reworked the way the busy screen works so that it is automatically displayed after the busy timeout, whereas before it was only displayed if there was some subsequent user input after the timeout. You might see the busy cursor a lot more but it should make for a better user experience. The timeout is currently set at 1 second but can be easily tweaked if required.

I have also improved the performance when entering the settings screen, particularly from remote clients. Previously it was loading every setting which caused a big spike in calls to the server, it now only loads the minimum settings required to determine which sections to display and lazily loads the rest when needed.

If you want to test on a current 2.2 install:
    • Close the client
    • Take a backup of the Configuration, ConfigurationManager and SkinEngine plugins in the client plugin directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Client\Plugins)
    • Replace with the versions in the attached zip below
    • Restart the client
    Branch

Attachments

• Busy_cursor_and_settings_improvements.zip
      992.1 KB

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I can also confirm, busy symbol is showing as expected now.
    I also realized again, that the busy curser is still ugly and I should change it for BV ;) The distance between the small moving circles becomes distructed after some rotations.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    No issues at my side either. I suggest that you push this to WiP 2.2.1
    @HTPCSourcer @Brownard
    Can we wait for a while? I'd exchange busy cursers for some skins to improve the visual appearance.
    I believe best is to combine it with these changes and first push to this branch.

Edit: I can not clone the remote branch locally:
    Cloning into 'C:\Users\ge230\Documents\Mediaportal 2\Git_WIP2.2.1_BusyCurser'...
    fatal: Remote branch MP2-772_MP2-773_Improve_configuration_loading_and_busy_screen not found in upstream origin

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You can correct the visual appearance anytime. I don’t see the connection between the skin cursor and Brownard’s work. Or am I missing something?

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You can correct the visual appearance anytime. I don’t see the connection between the skin cursor and Brownard’s work. Or am I missing something?
    It's not so much about time, we can also merge his branch any time. Brownards branch is about the busy curser, not enough connection? We create branches to check side effects before merge. The busy curser is not just an image, there is quite some code behind. In one theme it's also connected to the screen saver. I want those changes first to be tested, but I also do not see a need to create a new branch just for this.

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Edit: I can not clone the remote branch locally:
    Check that you are definitely trying to pull from the official MP2 remote (and not my personal remote I use for the Emulators plugin ;) )

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom