[fixed] [MP2-819] MP2 Server crashes on ATSC OTA channel scan (1 Viewer)

rback

Portal Member
December 29, 2019
United States of America United States of America
Country flag
MediaPortal 2 Version: 2.2.2

Description
I am setting up a new Windows 10 Pro system to replace my old Windows 7 WMC server to be my new Media Center.

I have multiple SiliconDust HDHomeRun tuners on my network.
  • HDHomeRun Prime (1310D827): 3 CableCard tuners
  • HDHomeRun Prime (1318B296): 3 Clear QAM tuners
  • HDHomeRun DUAL (10384572): 2 Clear QAM tuners
  • HDHomeRun CONNECT (104962F8): 2 OTA tuners
  • HDHomeRun CONNECT QUATRO (10759EE9): 4 OTA tuners
During MediaPortal2 TV Server Configuration, the scanning of the CableCard and Clear QAM tuners work fine. However, scanning the OTA tuners fail when scanning physical channel 24 and causes the MP2 Server to crash with this error in the log.

[2019-12-28 19:14:51,614] [230666 ] [ATSC scan thread] [INFO ] - ATSC: scanning ATSC over-the-air, physical channel = 24, modulation = 8 VSB​
[2019-12-28 19:14:54,997] [234048 ] [ATSC scan thread] [ERROR] -
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

Server stack trace:
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Receive(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.SocketStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.SocketHandler.ReadFromSocket(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.SocketHandler.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.SocketHandler.ReadAndMatchFourBytes(Byte[] buffer)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpSocketHandler.ReadAndMatchPreamble()
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpSocketHandler.ReadVersionAndOperation(UInt16& operation)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpClientSocketHandler.ReadHeaders()
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpClientTransportSink.ProcessMessage(IMessage msg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream, ITransportHeaders& responseHeaders, Stream& responseStream)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.BinaryClientFormatterSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at TvControl.IController.Scan(Int32 cardId, IChannel channel)
at SetupTv.Sections.CardAtsc.DoScan()

I've tried scanning all 6 tuners on these 2 devices and they all fail while scanning channel 24. I also tried modifying the "Preferred Network Provider" on the tuner properties dialog on the MP2 TV Server configuration from "Generic" to "ATSC". When I do so, the channel scan completes successfully, however no channels are found. Those channels that should be found (based on scan when provider was set to "Generic"), have a status message of "signal locked, no channels found".

A search of the MP2 forums found a similar problem earlier this year, with no apparent resolution.
[further infos missing] - MP2 Server crashes on channel scan
On a side note, I installed NextPVR and that application was able to successfully scan the channels on my OTA tuners. So that's my fallback, if I can't get MP2 to work for recording OTA channels.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Select one of the tuners used for OTA under the TV Servers menu on MP2 TV Server Configuration
2. Choose ATSC Digital Terrestrial tuning mode
3. Scan for channels
When the scan reaches physical channel = 24, the MP2 server crashes with a "SetupTv has stopped working" dialog.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    Hello,

The error and crash of the MP2 Server app can be traced back to Faulting module name: ntdll.dll with the exception code 0xc0000374. This code means Heap Corruption, which causes sudden death for the app. The 'why' is a different thing. It could be (and probably is) a driver issue, so outside of our influence.

Is there a way that you scan channels 1-23 manually, omit 24, and then keep going manually? The TV Configuration tool allows to scan individual SAT transponders, but I don't know how things need to be done with OTA tuners. By the way, what kind of channels are broadcasted over the air in the US?

Last edited:

rback

Portal Member
    December 29, 2019
    Country flag
    How do I scan manually so that I can omit channel 24? Is there a configuration file I can edit to list the channels to scan?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    How do I scan manually so that I can omit channel 24?
    Ha, I just edited my post, saying that I don't know how manual scanning is taking place. Can you post a screnshot of the OTA tuning screen?

rback

Portal Member
    December 29, 2019
    Country flag
    Here's a screenshot of the OTA channel scan when it reaches channel 24. The major networks (i.e. ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CW) are broadcast over-the-air in most major US cities.

Attachments

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    Thanks. Unfortunately no possibility to scan a single channel. So you will need to edit the channel tuning parameters.

Somewhere in the Server folder should be a subdirectory with ‚TuningParameters‘ in the path. Locate it and see if there is a xml file that you could edit.

rback

Portal Member
    December 29, 2019
    Country flag
    Thanks. I've looked there in the past, but only found QAM tuning parameters. I'm not sure which one, if any are actually used for ATSC OTA channels. But I did try editing each one to see if I can get it to skip channel 24, but no luck.
    tuning parameters.jpg

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    Can you zip them together and upload the file for me to take a look?

Users who are viewing this thread