MP2 and picture-in-picture and remote control (new tuner card) (1 Viewer)

Nordfinn

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 18, 2014
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I have a new tuner card (Hauppauge model 01609: WinTV-quadHD). It has four tuners and also an IR remote control. I can't figure out how to use either capability with MP2. The MP2 download page says that MP2 has picture-in-picture capability, but I don't see anything about that in any client settings menu or in the TV server configuration. Can anyone shed some light?

Likewise, I see that I have what appears to me a remote control driver (Hauppauge WinTV-quad HD (Model 165`xx-1, Dual ATSC/QAM, IR)), but the only item I have under Input Devices is "Wifi Remote," and the options don't look to correspond, and at any rate the remote control is not working with MP. Do I need IRSS?

Any help greatly appreciated. N.

Edit: Remote control works for volume control and mute, but only those functions. Fully functional with Hauppauge's "Win TV 10" softward (which I don't much like), as is the picture-in-a-picture (up to four screens).

Last edited:

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Likewise, I see that I have what appears to me a remote control driver (Hauppauge WinTV-quad HD (Model 165`xx-1, Dual ATSC/QAM, IR)), but the only item I have under Input Devices is "Wifi Remote," and the options don't look to correspond, and at any rate the remote control is not working with MP. Do I need IRSS?
    Please look here to see which input devices are supported natively. You have more settings than Wifi Remote, look on the right side of the screen. Wifi Remote is on the left side, because it is only a category with sub options.
    You can also map buttons of input devices manually. See WIKI. This should work with all HID devices.

I have a new tuner card (Hauppauge model 01609: WinTV-quadHD). It has four tuners and also an IR remote control. I can't figure out how to use either capability with MP2. The MP2 download page says that MP2 has picture-in-picture capability, but I don't see anything about that in any client settings menu or in the TV server configuration. Can anyone shed some light?
    PiP is existing for different media types. You can watch a movie and listen to music in parallel in PiP mode. Same for TV and movie etc. But you can not watch two TV channels at one time. There are also no related settings. If you have e.g. a movie playing and select an audio track and it will ask in a dialoge, whether you want to play it in PiP mode or stop the rinning playback and play the audio track instead.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    But you can not watch two TV channels at one time.
    As far as I remember this is possible, if you have enough free tuner cards. If you only have one tuner then it is not possible but if you have more than one (free) tuner you also can watch one TV channel in full picture and another TV channel in PIP. Very useful if you don't like to watch commercials but didn't want to miss the end of the break...

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As far as I remember this is possible, if you have enough free tuner cards. If you only have one tuner then it is not possible but if you have more than one (free) tuner you also can watch one TV channel in full picture and another TV channel in PIP. Very useful if you don't like to watch commercials but didn't want to miss the end of the break...
    IPTV has no limitations for example. When I select another channel there is no option to start playback in PiP mode, so I would be surprised it it works. But I agree PiP makes more sense with two TV-channels than watching a movie and an audio track in parallel :)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    IPTV has no limitations
    I'm pretty sure I had this working with DVB-S. For IPTV you need to define enough "tuner cards" in TVServerConfig to be able to stream multiple channels at the same time. With DVB you can watch multiple streams from one tuner, as long as all channels are on the same transponder (e.G. ZDF HD and ZDFneo HD you can watch with a single tuner at the same time as they are on the same transponder on Astra 19.2). With IPTV you definitely need one "tuner" for every stream, even if you want to watch the same channel on two (or more) clients... So IPTV and DVB is not really the same in this behavior. By the way, ATSC is much more like DVB than like IPTV...

This (every stream needs a unique tuner) is the main issue with SAT>IP Support in TVE 3.0 too. You need one tuner for every stream. In other TVE (like TVE 3.5 or TVMosaic) with full SAT>IP support you can use the tuner as if they are "normal" build in DVB-S tuners...

Nordfinn

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 18, 2014
    Home Country
    Just to be clear: I have four ATSC tuners on the card. In MP2 I am able to record one (actually, up to three) channel while watching another, but I am not able to watch more than one at a time. In this way, the Hauppauge software is definitely more functional (can watch up to 4 channels at a time).

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MP2 only can have one small picture in one big picture means two player active at the same time.

But it's a while ago since I've used PIP myself. If this now is no longer working for TV channels, something is broken imho. Earlier versions of MP2 definitely could play two different TV channels in PIP mode (if enough tuner are available)...

Nordfinn

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 18, 2014
    Home Country
    As to the remote control: I am thoroughly confused, but I have written to Hauppauge to ask what kind of remote came with their card. I'm guessing that I need to download the IRSS software listed on the MP2 Input Devices page, but that installer is itself very confusing (and seemingly out of date)--tells me, for example, that I don't have MP installed, obviously not true, and then asks me to choose between mysterious alternatives. So I have held off.

In MP1, it looks like there's a "Hauppauge" tab under "Input Devices," but there is nothing like that in MP2. In MP2 the options make no sense to a relative neophyte. Options are for four kinds of Shortcuts, and anyway those options are not connecting with my remote if I try to configure.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In MP1, it looks like there's a "Hauppauge" tab under "Input Devices," but there is nothing like that in MP2. In MP2 the options make no sense to a relative neophyte. Options are for four kinds of Shortcuts, and anyway those options are not connecting with my remote if I try to configure.
    In MP2 there is no need to select any remote type or make. All HID devices are supported out of the box. But, the windows drivers must be installed correctly. If windows detects the remote and its buttons MP2 will do either. I've also a IRSS remote from Hauppauge. I just plugged the IR connector in installed the drivers from the CD, started MP2 and it was working.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm pretty sure I had this working with DVB-S. For IPTV you need to define enough "tuner cards" in TVServerConfig to be able to stream multiple channels at the same time.
    I set multiple IPTV tuner cards, there is no option to start a second channel in PiP mode. I also checked the model behind, such option is not existing.
    In case it was working earlier, something has changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom