[solved] MP2 cannot record two channels on different transponders (1 Viewer)

Bunkermentality

Portal Member
October 31, 2017
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I have a question regarding recording two channels at the same time using my dualHD tuner.

I can record channel 1 and channel 2 at the same time (see screenshot 5) but not channel 1 and channel 3 (screenshot 6). MP2 accepts the recording request for both channels but only captures a recording of channel 1 in the Recorded TV folder. However I can record channel 1 whilst watching channel 3 (screenshot 7).

I note that channel 1 and 2 are on the same transponder whilst channel 3 is on a different transponder.

Should MP2 be able to record two channels on different responders at the same time?

Paul

Attachments

• Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    696.3 KB
  • Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    684.8 KB
  • Screenshot (7).png
    Screenshot (7).png
    1.1 MB

Timberwolf99

Portal Pro
November 20, 2015
Home Country
Australia Australia
From what I can figure, tuner 1 will only record channel 2 using a virtual tuner if channel 3 is already being recorded. So channel 1 records on tuner 1, channel 2 will record on tuner 2, channel 3 can’t be recorded as all tuners busy. But if channel 1 is recorded on tuner 1, then channel 3 is recorded on tuner 2, then channel 2 can be recorded on tuner 1.

Bunkermentality

Portal Member
October 31, 2017
Home Country
The issue I'm concerned about is that I can record two channels if these are both on the same transponder but CANNOT record two channels if these are on different transponders. BBC1 and BBC2 are on the same transponder, but ITV is on a d efferent transponder. Hence I can record BBC1 and BBC2 but not BBC1 and ITV. When I attempt to do this the recording requests are captured by MP2 but only the first request is actually recorded. Screenshot 6 illustrates this - everything looks OK except that the files in the recording directory for the ITV recording are not present.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    When I attempt to do this the recording requests are captured by MP2 but only the first request is actually recorded.
    Both stations do record simultaneously. The problem lies elsewhere: You haven't correctly configured your recording paths:
    • Card 6: SlimTvService: RecordingStarted: C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\Doctors - BBC ONE Lon - 2017-11-02.ts
    • Card 5: SlimTvService: RecordingStarted: C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\recordings\ITV Lunchtime News - ITV - 2017-11-02.ts
    As you can see, card 5 is still using the standard default path, which is then not found by MP2. So get back to the TV Configuration, select card 6 and click on Same recording folders for all cards. Then restart the MP2 Server service for changes to take effect.

Paths.JPG

P.S.: Check out the folder C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\recordings and either delete all recordings that you don't need or move them to C:\UsersPublic\Recorded

Bunkermentality

Portal Member
    October 31, 2017
    Home Country
    Thanks for your prompt reply. I see that in the Recording panel in TV Server Configuration I have to set the recording folder explicitly for each card even though I set "Same recording for all cards" which implied to me that it would apply to all cards. The current setting for card 5 and card 6 were C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV so I have explicitly set this to the NAS drive and all is good.

Your tip to check folder C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\recordings was very valid as there I found all of the recordings that apparently had not been made.

I find it hard to understand how I am able to record more than two channels simultaneously with a dual tuner but I'm not complaining; in fact I'm quite the opposite ;-)

PS. I also note that having set three recording off successfully in the MP2 client my instruction to Delete from storage was ignored until I first viewed a recording, then selected Stop (square box).

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    even though I set "Same recording for all cards" which implied to me that it would apply to all cards
    It does! You pobably didn't close the TV Configuration with OK after you changed the settings.

I find it hard to understand how I am able to record more than two channels simultaneously with a dual tuner
    The explanation is quite simple. Channels that are broadcasted on the same transponder can be recorded using the very same tuner. It's only if you start using more than two transponders that you'll notice issues. Note that MP2 doesn't yet contain a conflict management.

I also note that having set three recording off successfully in the MP2 client my instruction to Delete from storage was ignored until I first viewed a recording, then selected Stop (square box).
    The reason most likely is that the recording was still active. See MP2-680 Active recordings can't be deleted. I suchg case you'll need to open the TV guide and select "Stop recording" from the context menu for the respective show before you are able to delete the file from the Recordings menu.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom