MP2 doesn't pick up TV Series (2 Viewers)

StroppyOz

Portal Member
July 4, 2015
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi,

For some reason, MP2 (Spring 16) doesn't pick up my TV Series'. It picks up my movies fine but none of my TV Series. The nfo files appear to be in the right format from what I can tell and the sources look okay yet nothing is picked up on. A similar problem appears to occur with music albums. While there are spaces in the directory names, changing these to underscores makes no difference (but could this still be a problem?). I've also use TinyMediaManager to deliberately generate mediaportal nfo files, also to no avail. Log files attached.

Is there a specific directory format that I should be using? I'm using the following:

TV SHOW NAME (YEAR)
-> SEASON 1
-> SEASON 2

The Media Source is set at the higher directory level. eg.

KidsTVShows
->TV SHOW1 NAME (YEAR)
->TV SHOW2 NAME (YEAR)
etc...

I hope I don't need to set up a media source for each show as that will be very time consuming.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MP2 supports differnt way to identify series:
    • MKV tags
    • NFO files (looking for a TVDB id)
    • File name pattern
    So my guess is that the first two ways didn't work and the file name pattern is not recognized.

Since a while the lookup pattern can be extended by users. So can you please give us a few real path names which I could check the pattern against?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Is there a specific directory format that I should be using?
    If you name the series folder exactly as the series is named on TVDB it will give the best chance of correct match. You also can use foreign series names if you can't get an unique match for the series. As example: before the .nfo and MKV- tag support was build into MP2 I've used Swedish series names for a few series also my preferred language is German. Metadata will still be loaded in your language nevertheless. Year numbers are not helpful, indeed they are lowering the match rate a lot, excerpt for series where the year is part of the "official" name on TVDB. Sadly the TVDB API did not provide a search option for years, so the year can not help identifying a series. It only prevents series from being identified at all. This is something MP2 can not change at all. It is a weakness of TVDB.

Episodes names must contain season and episodes numbers in an easy to recognize way. S01E01 is easy, 101 is not... You can use season folder if you like. But they are not necessary, it is working with or without exactly the same. Series name in episodes name did not help. It is ignored, so you can add the series name, if you like, but as told it did not help. Specials has to be named as "Season 0" to be recognized properly. No other name (like "Specials" or "Extras" or so) is recognized at all.

But all this is completely irrelevant if you use .nfo files (as known from any other HTPC software excerpt for MP1) that can be generated by a lot of tools (tmm, Ember, MKV-Buddy,...) and/or Matroska Metatags (similar to the well known ID3 tags for music files) for your series. I always have a 100% perfect match this way, no matter if it comes to series or movies....And I have 22.000++ episodes. Not a single one is missing this way.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Lemnden is right about preferrance of tags from MKV or nfo. On the other hand it requires some manual work, which might be skipped by improving the patterns for automatical lookup.

I've implemented also some cleanup routines which can be executed before or after matching. So I'd like to make the tests first to tweak the series matcher configuration :)

StroppyOz

Portal Member
    July 4, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks for the feedback. I realised not all my movies were actually being picked up. Upon further investigation, none of my NAS resources were being picked up, only the local resources.

I can confirm that it's a network thing as having the folder locally works perfectly (so nothing wrong with the nfo metadata). Can it be that MP2 has a problem accessing resources on different subnets (my NAS is on another subnet)?

If I can find the time I'll move the NAS to the same net to confirm but this is a bit of a muck around to confirm as I don't have any spare ports.

If I up the debug level, will the increased debug info let me know why the crawlers are failing to access the NAS?

Last edited:

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It's not part of Network Neighbourhood
    Oh, this is not good. I don't think the "NetworkNeighborhoodRessourceProvider" is able to access a NAS that is outside the Network Neighborhood. As long as you don't alter your Network structure I think you will not be able to use the media from this NAS.

StroppyOz

Portal Member
    July 4, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Oh, this is not good. I don't think the "NetworkNeighborhoodRessourceProvider" is able to access a NAS that is outside the Network Neighborhood. As long as you don't alter your Network structure I think you will not be able to use the media from this NAS.

Okay.. does it matter that I can access the resource using either \\NAS or \\192.168.2.x ?

It's starting to sound like I can't use MP2 unless I have the NAS on the same network as the HTPC.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Okay.. does it matter that I can access the resource using either \\NAS or \\192.168.2.x ?
    Hard to tell... I don't have any clue about cross- network NAS access and how credentials are handled then. If you can see the NAS it probably can be possible to access the media, if you set-up a "guest" account on the NAS without password if it fails the "normal" way. But I'm only guessing.

sound like I can't use MP2 unless I have the NAS on the same network as the HTPC.
    It is a very uncommon environment with the NAS on a different network. This has to be answered by one of our experts, maybe @MJGraf who has written the NNRA...

StroppyOz

Portal Member
    July 4, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Okay. I can confirm that MP2 has a problem (bug?) with accessing NAS' on sub-networks. Once I connected the NAS to the same network it picked up all movies and TV Series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom