[solved] MP2 fails to install: "Insufficient privileges to start services" (1 Viewer)

Mykl

Portal Member
February 14, 2020
Home Country
Australia Australia
Gave that a try. Sadly, no luck.

There were three Datastore.sdb files.
Datastore.sdb 16,384kB
Datastore.sdb-shm 32kB
Datastore.sdb-wal 0kB

Deleted all 3, server service could not start.
"Service 'MediaPortal 2 Server Service' (MP2-Server) failed to start.
Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services."

Tried deleting the whole database folder. Same result.

I'm going to try a different drive & see if it works on that, then I guess I'll have to try a Windows reinstall next.

Last edited:

Mykl

Portal Member
February 14, 2020
Home Country
Australia Australia
OK. I tried the in place install that just reloads 10 without deleting programs or files.

Was able to reinstall MP2 this time! Seems to have fixed whatever the update broke. Here's hoping it doesn'e rebreak it if/when that update reinstalls...

Ronski

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Hello,

If you downloaded the setup zip file under Windows, you need to allow access in the file properties before unzipping.
    • Download the setup package
    • In the file properties check the "Allow access" box
    • Unzip the file
    Now insted of launching the exe, please use the Setup-Logging.bat file. This will create a very detailed log file of the setup process that allows us to identiofy what is not working for you. If setup fails again, post this log file.

I'm having the same problems as the OP, but I just don't understand what you mean by the above, "Allow access" box, I can't find this in the zip files properties, and thus I can't run Setup-Logging.bat.

I'm trying to install MP2 on WHS2011, I do have MP1 installed (service disabled), but that has broken and I was going to try MP2, but that wont finish installing, if I try to start the MP2-Server service whilst the error is on the screen Windows says the service started but stopped again. I've also checked that port 55555 is not in use. I've attached the basic logs from two attempted installs.

Attachments

• Mediaportal MP2.7z
      2.5 KB

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    In general the Server OS'ses are not supported by MP. Some people are able to get it working, but WHS 2011 is dead since 2016 (no more updates) and it is highly recommended to not use it any longer. Aside this you have the same issue (no access rights to the msi intstaller file) as the others above. Before unpacking the downloaded zip file navigate to it in explorer (as admin or with admin rights) and right click on it.. Then choose "details" (or similar, my Windows is running in German language so I don't know the exact terms in English). On the lower end there is a checkbox next to something about "security" and "allow" (or "enable" or similar). Here you need to tick the checkbox and then click ok. Now you should be able to run the msi package after extracting the .zip archive. But this is no guarantee that the installation is possible at all on your not supported OS...

1601706065838.png

Ronski

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    @Lehmden Thank you for your reply.

Yes I probably really should get around to replacing WHS2011, most likely with Windows 10 Professional, we really don't need all the extra's of an expensive server OS, and the compatibility problems with software which the server OS brings.

I found the option you meant, in English it is Unblock - no idea what this actually does as it didn't seem to make any difference.

The Wiki says that MP1 and MP2 can be installed at the same time so long as both TV services aren't running. This does not seem to be the case, I had to run the installer for MP1 again to get the TV service to even start after attempting to install MP2, and now having completely uninstalled MP1 I have now managed to install MP2 without any error's.

Now lets see if I can tune some TV channels, as I was having 'No Signal' tuning issues with MP1, even though I'd proved the tuner worked.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Now lets see if I can tune some TV channels, as I was having 'No Signal' tuning issues with MP1, even though I'd proved the tuner worked.
    The TV engine ist basically the same between MP1 and MP2. would be surprising, if it suddenly works with MP2.
    But sometimes uninstalling and a fresh start helps, maybe you are lucky.

Ronski

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    @ge2301 I posted in another thread with my tuner issues regarding MP1 and another forum member suggested the database could well be corrupt (I've been using MP1 for many years), and a complete and thorough uninstall and reinstall may be the only way to go, so I thought I may as well try MP2.

I have tuned channels, and got a client to connect and can indeed watch TV, but I have firewall issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom