[solved] MP2 - How do I switch off Audio Description? (1 Viewer)

Chris L

October 14, 2018
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
I'm looking on live tv on a film channel and see the following options, and googling highlights that NAR is the Audio Description Audio soundtrack.

AudioSelection.JPG

So, is there a way in MP2 to select "eng" as my preferred audio language so that it always defaults to English if there is an "eng" audio stream?

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

this is a codec setting and you need to start LAV Splitter Configuration outside MP2:

20181015-221737.png

This is an example. As I am German I prefer German over English. See the first input field. The order is set there you just need to turn it around.

In case you want subtitle settings: See subtitles in the second input field. If you want only forced subtitles select 'Subtitle Selection Mode' = 'Advanced' and then in the second input field just switch 'eng' and 'ger'.

Of course this only works if you use LAV as video and audio codecs and as splitter which is the default setting in MP2.

Cheers

Blue Max

Last edited:

Chris L

October 14, 2018
    Home Country
    Hi,

this is a codec setting and you need to start LAV Splitter Configuration outside MP2:

View attachment 198928

This is an example. As I am German I prefer German over English. See the first input filed. The order is set there you just need to turn it around.

In case you want subtitle settings: See subtitles in the second input field. If you want only forced subtitles select 'Subtitle Selection Mode' = 'Advanced' and then in the second input field just switch 'eng' and 'ger'.

Of course this only works if you use LAV as video and audio codecs and as splitter which is the default setting in MP2.

Cheers

Blue Max

Thanks Blue Max, I've made the changes so fingers crossed.
    I appreciate the help, thank you.

Chris L

October 14, 2018
    Home Country
    Hi,

View attachment 198928

This is an example. As I am German I prefer German over English. See the first input field. The order is set there you just need to turn it around.

Cheers

Blue Max

Hi Blue Max - I thought this was solved, but apparently not...

I made the change you suggested, and when I view a live programme in the MP2 client, it does correctly select the 'eng' audio stream automatically. However, it's not selecting that stream for recording, it's still selecting 'NAR' - the Audio Description stream. I'm record a film right now, and if I view live in MP2 there's no Audio Description, and if I open the .ts file that's being saved as it's recording, it has the Audio Description on.

I'm baffled. Does the server handle the recording and does it have it's own separate settings, separate to the LAV Splitter config?

AudioSelection.JPG LAV.JPG

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I have to pass this question to the developers as I do not know th internal strategies for handling audio tracks with different media types. Sorry.

I only know we in German yalso have movies with several audio tracks. One is AC3 German, one is MP2 German with audio description and sometimes one is in a foreign language. Each such recording will be played with the AC3 german track automatically in MP2. But: normally the AC3 track is the first one in the order of audio tracks in the video file. And it seems the first in the order in your video files seems to be always the track with the audio description.

You could use some audio transcoding or muxing software and change the order of the tracks and see if that is the culprit.

Cheers

Blue Max

Chris L

October 14, 2018
    Home Country
    Hi,

I have to pass this question to the developers as I do not know th internal strategies for handling audio tracks with different media types. Sorry.

I only know we in German yalso have movies with several audio tracks. One is AC3 German, one is MP2 German with audio description and sometimes one is in a foreign language. Each such recording will be played with the AC3 german track automatically in MP2. But: normally the AC3 track is the first one in the order of audio tracks in the video file. And it seems the first in the order in your video files seems to be always the track with the audio description.

You could use some audio transcoding or muxing software and change the order of the tracks and see if that is the culprit.

Cheers

Blue Max

Sorry - how do I pass it on to the developers?

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I will tag the main developer (he's abroad right now): @morpheus_xx or other devs, please could you help out here?

Thanks

Cheers

Blue Max

Digsy

Portal Pro
    August 29, 2018
    Home Country
    Not sure if this helps but I currently have a recent recording with two audio streams and my MP2.2 install does not select the audio description stream by default. I have attached an image showing my LAV splitter setups. No idea why my setup works and @Chris L 's does not.
    Splitter.JPG

I should point out that I no longer use the LAV filters and have changed to MS-DTV due to other issues, but I temporarily changed back to test this.

I used to get this problem all the time when viewing programmes recorded using WMC on a Medi8er player. I used to transcode the WTV file to .TS and the Medi8er would always select the first audio stream, which was the one with audio description.

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    when I view a live programme in the MP2 client, it does correctly select the 'eng' audio stream automatically. However, it's not selecting that stream for recording, it's still selecting 'NAR' - the Audio Description stream.
    There should be no difference between viewing live tv and playing a recoding, both a handled by the same player.

The default audio stream language is automatically selected according to your MP2 UI language. This is done the first time you play a video. If you then change the stream to i.e. ger, then this language is saved as you preferred audio language. Next time you play a video MP2 will select the ger audio stream.

@Chris L could you please upload a short sample with this NAR audio track. I can try to reproduce your problem.

Chris L

October 14, 2018
    Home Country
    There should be no difference between viewing live tv and playing a recoding, both a handled by the same player.

The default audio stream language is automatically selected according to your MP2 UI language. This is done the first time you play a video. If you then change the stream to i.e. ger, then this language is saved as you preferred audio language. Next time you play a video MP2 will select the ger audio stream.

@Chris L could you please upload a short sample with this NAR audio track. I can try to reproduce your problem.

I've established what the real problem is...I don't know what I'm doing! For the films that I've been recording, I've been trimming them in a video editor and wrongly assumed that MP2 would/should save the file with 'eng' as the default audio track and every time I tried, the NAR track was still there. I didn't realise that MP2 was just remembering the selection of the preferred audio track but maintaining NAR as the first. My sincere apologies for wasting people's time on this. Lesson learned to be more explicit in my explanation. Really sorry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom