[solved] MP2 new install, 2 x hdhomerun tuners, client on same PC unable to view TV & recordings (2 Viewers)

Prsa01

Portal Member
March 3, 2020
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
*Update Recordings do work and I can view them from the folder but can't thru the client.

Link for "system specs" isn't working and not seeing a place to show system config in profile/account settings. I will provide system info below.

Newly configured server/client on same system. Install and configuration seemed to complete well. I was able to setup my xmltv guide and view the guide.

When I select a channel I get a swirling circle and eventually just the blue screen with controls but no video. The log entries I see with the word "error" in them are many:
[2020-05-20 06:29:00,434] [39755 ] [40 ] [INFO ] - MultimediaDirectoy: Error while detection of media type of folder '/': Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Not sure what that means

That seem to correspond with the time channel was attempted to be tuned. Recording works and can view recorded files browsing folder but not via client. I have set all recording and timeshifting folders to the same folder on my secondary drive. Am wondering/trying things with user rights on that folder.

Setup: Win10 pro fully updated. I7 6700 16 GB mem Primary 256 gb ssd, secondary 1 TB drive

Tuners combined:
1 x hdhomerun network extend 2 tuner atsc
1 x hdhomerun network 2 tuner atsc

I've run out of time now, Sorry. Will add more later.

Let me know other info I can provide that would be helpful.

Thanks much!

Attachments

• MediaPortal2-Logs-2020-05-20-18.44.21.zip
    361.6 KB
Last edited:

Prsa01

Portal Member
March 3, 2020
Home Country
Update Logs attached - last action taken before collecting logs was tuning to a station

I have enabled debugging logging level and will post those logs in a bit. Please let me know anything else I can do to try to figure this out.

Thanks much

Attachments

• MediaPortal2-Logs-2020-05-24-07.34.36.zip
    721.1 KB
Last edited:

Prsa01

Portal Member
March 3, 2020
Home Country
There seems to be some issue with my post that it is getting no response. Either I've done something incorrect or not provided sufficient info for people to respond. Whatever the issue is, please let me know so I can resolve it. I really am trying to provide the appropriate information.

Alternatively, I have seen in another thread that a new version is "imminent". Anybody know ballpark time-line or is it possible to get a pre-release version to see if I get an different result?

Current plan is to install client only on another pc to try to determine if issue is on client or server side.

Make sense?

Thanks in advance for ANY feedback!

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi
    Sorry to see you have not had a response here. Sadly I have absolutely no expertise with server/client setups but I did want to at least let you know that your posts are visible and hopefully will soon get a expert reply.
    I think your approach to try another client is good.
    For the future maybe try posting in the support forum.

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi @Prsa01,
    Thanks for the logs, I can't see anything specific except there's some sort of timeout when trying to play TV. The client does seem very busy trying to scan a removable drive for potential media items (looks like it's got a Kodi install on it ;)), as a first step can you remove any removable drives (e.g. USB sticks/DVDs) and post a new set of logs showing trying to start TV.

Last edited:

Prsa01

Portal Member
    March 3, 2020
    Home Country
    Thanks, would never have thought of that possibility. Will check when I get home and report back.

Appreciate your time!

Prsa01

Portal Member
    March 3, 2020
    Home Country
    Here are the logs after removing usb drive.

There are still a couple of network drives that are available. Let me know if it appears they are causing issues. The last things attempted before collecting logs were watching a recording and viewing a TV channel from guide. In both cases the viewer opens, get swirling circle, then normal viewer screen with navigation but no video and timer does not advance (not "playing" forward in time). On the recording I can move the navigation pointer forward to any point in the recording but do not get any picture and it doesn't advance on it's own. I can view the recordings by browsing to them in explorer.

UPDATE So, I did install the client only on another PC and can view recordings and live TV via guide on the remote PC client without problem. Would seem to indicate the issue is with the client side of the setup on the system with both server and client.

I should also add, I did uninstall/reinstall once during this troubleshooting process.

I am also doing almost all of my testing via vnc since this pc doesn't usually have a monitor connected while going thru this evaluation. I did hookup a monitor once to try to eliminate that as a possible problem but realize now I didn't uninstall the vnc server. Will do that to make sure it isn't causing a problem.

Again, thanks for any thoughts!

Attachments

• MediaPortal2-Logs-2020-06-06-04.45.27.zip
      686.5 KB
    Last edited:

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Here are the logs after removing usb drive.
    Thanks, that's cleared up the logs a bit. I can see the video player go through the motions and as far as it's concerned video playback has started. Can you tell me what splitters/codecs are configured for video playback under Settings -> Players -> Codecs. It looks like you tried to play a HD channel so the relevant video codec is probably whatever's used for AVC video, but check the MPEG2 codec too.

Prsa01

Portal Member
    March 3, 2020
    Home Country
    Solved

VNC did also work with the new monitor setup

OK, decided to go to the most basic level and hooked this PC up to an HDMI monitor instead of the old tiny VGA monitor it was hooked up to for testing and it worked fine. So must have been something related to that old monitor or drivers or whatever. Haven't yet checked to see if vnc also works with the different monitor driver but will report back once I've tested that.

Sorry to waste people's time with what turned out to be a hardware/driver issue.

Now I can finally start evaluating for my eventual migration from Win7/WMC.

Thanks again for the help and patience with a newbie!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom