Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Here is my latest toy, MP2 Plugin Packager. It's in an very early state so bugs and errors are to be expected.

This tool is for MP2 plugin devs, skin or theme designers or any other tool related to MediaPortal2.
    This very first version only generates installer packages for simple MP2 client plugins and skins. Others like themes, server plugins, multi plugins or tools are to follow later. Advanced options like adding extra shortcuts to StartMenu or desktop, setting registry entries, register services, fonts or filters and so on are also possible in an later version. And I hope I can include an internet update function too.

The Plugin Dev selects the folder containing his compiled plugin binaries. It should have the final folder structure, same as the plugin will have when it is installed to MP2. MP2PluginPackager reads name and version from plugin.xml file (must be the new version with compatibility check, used for Summer'15 Release and later). Then it generates an installer package (.exe) with one mouse click. This installer the user only needs to execute for installing the plugin. No further user interaction is needed, no manual unzip of archives and copy files to system directories...

Attached is an average Windows installer...

Attachments

• MP2PluginPackager_0.1.0.exe.7z
      2.3 MB

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Here is V 0.2.0. This version now also can create Server plugin installers.

Some hints...
    The plugin folder is named like the name you set in plugin.xml, not after the name you gave the folder from where you generate the installer package. Also the version number is taken from plugin.xml. So keep your plugin.xml updated.
    If possible don't use spaces (" ") in plugin names.

Attachments

• MP2PluginPackager_0.2.0.7z
      2.3 MB

osre

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Don't invest too much time in this. With the PackageManager Plugin we will get a builtin mechanism for Packing and installing plugins.
    I will soon continue work on it. I already have a plan, just need some time.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I also have very mixed feelings about this. On one hand I love it to have an easy installer(!), on the other hand I would prefer the "big" solution.

So @Lehmden just keep it in mind, that it will be replaced (hopefully) in short time :)

Anyway, your contribution is very welcome!

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I'm completely fine with this being an interim solution. As I had done all the plugin.xml updates I saw that there is no way atm to have a plugin installer at all. Wasn't too much work, only a few hours and it's working...
    Until we have the "big" solution we can use this. The Server install package also stops and starts the MP2 Server (after asking the user). So even installing server plugins is really easy with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom