MP2 - V2.3.2 MP2 service keeps crashing within a few seconds of startup (1 Viewer)

jamanga

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Hi

I really love MediaPortal and have been using MP1 for a long time. I'm setting up a new PC for a friend now and thought I'd try MP2. As per title, this is a new install onto a Win10 Home PC.

In the event viewer there are 2 errors.

Application: MP2-Server.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.NullReferenceException
    at MediaPortal.Common.Services.FileEventNotification.FileWatcher.Dispose()
    at MediaPortal.Common.Services.FileEventNotification.FileWatcher.Finalize()

Faulting application name: MP2-Server.exe, version: 2.3.2101.13487, time stamp: 0x5ff75d98
    Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0e04bc3a
    Faulting process ID: 0xccc
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d7123b814a564f
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\MP2-Server.exe
    Faulting module path: unknown
    Report ID: 8871d626-868d-4eea-839a-349840e2d3c3
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

Initally I tried to connect an 8TB external drive as a media source, which showed a busy cursor for a few seconds, then closed MP2.
    From then on I no longer get a chance to changed these settings because the server keeps crashing. In the log I see:

[2021-03-06 14:58:19,156] [3190 ] [Main ] [WARN ] - MediaLibrary: Share watcher cannot be used for path {e88e64a8-0233-4fdf-ba27-0b44c6a39ae9}:///D:/Movies/
    MediaPortal.Common.FileEventNotification.NotSupportedDriveTypeException: The drive type of "D:\Movies\" is not supported by the system.
    at MediaPortal.Common.Services.FileEventNotification.FileWatcher..ctor(String path)
    at MediaPortal.Common.Services.FileEventNotification.FileEventNotifier.Subscribe(FileWatcherInfo fileWatcherInfo)
    at MediaPortal.Common.Services.FileEventNotification.FileEventNotifier.Subscribe(String path, Boolean includeSubDirectories, FileEventHandler eventHandler, IEnumerable`1 filter, IEnumerable`1 changeTypes)
    at MediaPortal.Common.Services.ResourceAccess.LocalFsResourceProvider.LocalFsResourceProvider.RegisterChangeTracker(PathChangeDelegate changeDelegate, String path, IEnumerable`1 fileNameFilters, IEnumerable`1 changeTypes)
    at MediaPortal.Common.Services.ResourceAccess.LocalFsResourceProvider.LocalFsResourceAccessor.RegisterChangeTracker(PathChangeDelegate changeDelegate, IEnumerable`1 fileNameFilters, IEnumerable`1 changeTypes)
    at MediaPortal.Backend.Services.MediaLibrary.MediaLibrary.ShareWatcher..ctor(Share share, MediaLibrary parent, Boolean scheduleImport, Int32 checkIntervalMs, Int32 importDelaySecs)
    at MediaPortal.Backend.Services.MediaLibrary.MediaLibrary.InitShareWatchers()

Attachments

• MediaPortal2-Logs-2021-03-06-15.03.17.zip
      234.8 KB

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Could you please try 2 things:
    1. Add the share as server media source instead of client server source. Please always set the credentials for the access.
    2. If 1 doesn't help, try to deactivate the share watcher check mark once

jamanga

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Hi - thanks for the reply

re: 1. Sorry I've googled but don't see how to add the source via the server itself - can you point me in the right direction? Also I can't see a way to remove the directory I added to client, since the server keeps crashing.
    re: 2. I did activate the share watcher option, but as per above I can't seem to change this now that the server doesn't run - or rather does start then crashes about 5-6 seconds later.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    re: 1. Sorry I've googled but don't see how to add the source via the server itself - can you point me in the right direction? Also I can't see a way to remove the directory I added to client, since the server keeps crashing.
    To reset all settings delete the folder "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal".
    No need to goggle, everything is descibed in our WIKI.
    After adding the source as server share dont forget to enter the credentials.

re: 2. I did activate the share watcher option, but as per above I can't seem to change this now that the server doesn't run - or rather does start then crashes about 5-6 seconds later.
    After doing above the server should not crash.

jamanga

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Hi

Thanks for responding again. I tried to delete the c:\programdata\team mediaportal - there were a couple of files it didn't delete because it said they were "in use" so I skipped these, and this did seem to stop server service crashing.

The next problem was that neither the x86 or x64 clients would run - they would start and then crash. I can post the logs if you wish.

I uninstalled the application and could then delete the programdata directory. Re-installed. Ran the x64 version and selected the movie directory from the external hard drive (maybe 2000 movies) and selected the "monitor share" option. This almost immediately crashed the server again.

I repeated the uninstall/delete files process and this time did NOT select to monitor the share and so far so good - I've added both the movies and tv-series as media sources and it looks like it's now downloading some content. I'll leave it running overnight and see how it goes tomorrow.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Initally I tried to connect an 8TB external drive as a media source, which showed a busy cursor for a few seconds, then closed MP2.
    What kind of filesystem does your drive use? NTFS, exFAT? This is important as not every filesystem supports change notifications. In case of unsupported filesystems the error handling in code needs to be improved

jamanga

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Hi

The OS is NTFS, the external driver is exFAT - should I format as NTFS instead?

jamanga

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2008
    Home Country
    btw. the media content downloaded overnight - all appears stable so far.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    the external driver is exFAT - should I format as NTFS instead?
    If you need automatic import when new files are added to monitored folders, you would need to reformat to NTFS (but with loss of data, filesystem can't be converted between NTFS vs. exFAT).
    Otherwise new media will be visible after nightly refresh, or after you clicked "re-import" in GUI.

When we improve error handling in code, this will avoid crashes, but still the feature itself is not supported on exFAT.

jamanga

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2008
    Home Country
    All good, thanks for your support and of course, excellent product!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom