MP2 Spring '16 TV Server crashes when I install new software (1 Viewer)

FiftyFour##

Portal Member
July 31, 2016
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi,

When I install Unified Remote or KodiV17 on my Windows 10 Pro running MP 2 Spring '16, the MP TV server crashes as per attached.

After some investigation, I believe the TV Server is crashing because Unified Remote and KodiV17 install new versions of Microsoft Visual C++ redistributables. A Windows Restore Point identifies that the Visual C++ redistributables, which are common to MP2 will be uninstalled, and as soon as I restore, the MP2 TV Server starts working again. When I install KodiV16.1 after installing MP2, the TV Server keeps working fine. I suspect KodiV16.1 doesn't conflict with MP2 Spring '16 Visual C++ redistributables because KodiV16.1 was released around the same time as MP2 Spring '16.

Still, I'm surprised that this hasn't been identified as a major problem as it would effect any app that installs a Visual C++ redistributable later that MP2 Spring'16. Its this disbelief that has prevented me from raising this as a bug. Is this a known issue? What can I do to install KodiV17 and Unified remote?

Please reply, even if its to confirm this is a known issue.

Regards

FiftyFour##

Attachments

• MP2.pdf
    272.7 KB

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Still, I'm surprised that this hasn't been identified as a major problem as it would effect any app that installs a Visual C++ redistributable later that MP2 Spring'16.
    Other Visual C++ redistributables should not overwrite older versions but are installed in parallel.

Its this disbelief that has prevented me from raising this as a bug. Is this a known issue?
    If it was a bug - and I can't tell if it is - you would need to raise this in the Kodi forum.

What can I do to install KodiV17 and Unified remote?
    First you may want to install MP 2.1pre2 instead. It was compiled against VS 2015 and uses the latest Visual C++ libraries. Please read here for further details.

I also believe that there are people using Kodi with MP 2.1 as back-end. A forum search might help to identify any necessary plugins.

FiftyFour##

Portal Member
    July 31, 2016
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi,

Thanks for explaining that Visual C++ redistributables should be installed in parallel. Still, I can confirm that a Visual C++ redistributable was not installed for KodiV16.1.

FiftyFour##

Portal Member
    July 31, 2016
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Sorry HTPCSourcer,

I apologise for my tardy response, but I just needed a break from computers for a while. The previous post was posted by accident. I meant to write...

Thanks for explaining that Visual C++ redistributables are installed in parallel. Prior to doing a restore in Windows 10, I was advised of the changes which listed Visual C++ redistributables for removable. I assumed Visual C++ redistributables common to different programs would be removed. Sorry, my mistake.

It still doesn't explain why Kodi 17 and Uniremote installs crash MP2. I can only think that when I repaired MP2 instead of uninstalling MP2, I created some problem. The repair action stopped MP2 TV Server crashing.

At this stage, I'm tired of creating restore points, installing and restoring. Thank you for the suggestion of using MP2.1 Pre2, but I don't like using beta software. I've decided I'll install MP2.1 when its released. Then I'll install Kodi17 and Uniremote. Hopefully, it will all magically work as there doesn't seem to be any other explanation.

Thanks for posting.

FiftyFour##

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom