MP2 TV setup help (1 Viewer)

Doug Jones

August 9, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have installed MP2 from the package "MP2-Setup-SummerRelease_15" and added "SlimTV-MPExtended-SR'15" plugins for Live TV. When I launch MP2 Setup TV I get the following message:

Failed to startup tvserviceSystem.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set tp an instance of an object.

Server stack trace:
at TvService.TVController.get_Cards()
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Object[]& outArgs)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(Imessage msg)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandlingReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at TvControl.IController.get_Cards()
at SetupTv.Startup.Main(String[] arguments)

I have the HDHomeRun Prime on the network and am running the HomeRun View software. I am able to watch the TV programs with the HDHomeRun View with no problem, but have not been able to get MP2 to see the tuners.

The instructions for the SlimTV-MPExtended-SR'15 say to copy the client and server into the Team MediaPortal folders and configure the TV in Settings->Plugins->TV please configure MPExtended server name and user details, but there are only 6 options there:

Automatically Start TV
Number of Rows in EPG
Number of Hours in EPG
MPExtended server addresses
MPExtended service username
EPExtended service password​

None of these have any instruction that I can find to fill them out.

I see nothing that tells me how I can use my HDHomeRun with MP2.

I do not have any experience with PVRs other than WMC and certainly to not have much of an idea what eggmoe is talking about in his posts so my knowledge can probably be considered well below novice in this area. My first impression of MP was that it was very user friendly, but that is rapidly going by the wayside.

ANY assistance will be appreciated.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome Doug! :)

I've moved your post to a new thread, as the problem you're experiencing is unrelated to the problem in the thread you originally posted in.

... and added "SlimTV-MPExtended-SR'15" plugins for Live TV.
    Ummm, so that plugin is intended for use when you have an existing TV Server install from MediaPortal 1 that you want to share with MediaPortal 2. Is that the position that you're in? If not, it explains the problem... and you should be using the standard SlimTV Native 3.0 plugin instead of the MPExtended plugin.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I do not have any experience with PVRs other than WMC and certainly to not have much of an idea what eggmoe is talking about in his posts so my knowledge can probably be considered well below novice in this area. My first impression of MP was that it was very user friendly, but that is rapidly going by the wayside.
    Given this information, my recommendation would have been to install MediaPortal 1 rather than MediaPortal 2. MediaPortal 2 is a work in progress whereas MediaPortal 1 is more "mature". MP2 is the future... but for now most people still use MP1.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    but for now most people still use MP1.
    Looking at the recent download counts of MP 1.12 and MP2 Summer 15 Release, it's something like 60 /40... 1581 downloads of MP 1.12 and 1226 Downloads of MP2 in two weeks. So still more MP1 users but "most" is something different, I would think....

ANY assistance will be appreciated.
    I think you have misunderstand some things here. Maybe our documentary isn't as good as it should be...
    You don't need to add any extra software or plugins to get TV in MP2 up and running... Only the general dependencies like DX9c and VCredists are necessary to run MP2 with TV... You can get it even more comfortable if you use the more recent build from this posting:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mediaportal-2-sr15-update-1-snapshot-2015-08-03.131533/

This build has some fixes regarding US Live TV and a much improved installer that is downloading and installing all dependencies by itself.
    So I would recommend to uninstall all MP related things and start from scratch.. Best is to install MP2 with the provided MP2-Setup-Logging.bat, that adds extra logging to the install procedure. If something went wrong it's easier to help if more logs are done.
    Normally you should be ready to go then.

After installation you will find shortcuts to the TV Setup tool where you can configure TV pretty the same as in MP1. You don't need to install an MySQL Server, you don't need to install MPExtended, you don't need to install SlimTV-MPExtended-SR'15" plugins and you also don't need a running MP1 TV Server. All those things are only if you want to use both MP versions MP1 and MP2 at the same time... As long as you only use MP2 you don't need to install anything that is not in this package.

For the concrete setup of your HDHomerun I can't help as those are really uncommon in Europe. But it should be (nearly) identical to MP1 so probably others can jump in.

Doug Jones

August 9, 2015
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    This is my first foray into anything other than WMC and this is only because WMC is not going to be available in Windows 10. I did not try MP1 as what I've read it isn't friendly to HDHR prime withthe M-Card. This install is in Windows 10 on a new secondary machine.

I just finished an install with "MediaPortal-2__origin__WiP_SR15_U1_v4__2015-08-03--17-01" and when I try the MP 2 TV Configuration I get the same result:

Failed to startup tvserviceSystem.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set tp an instance of an object.

Server stack trace:
    at TvService.TVController.get_Cards()
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Object[]& outArgs)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(Imessage msg)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandlingReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
    at TvControl.IController.get_Cards()
    at SetupTv.Startup.Main(String[] arguments)

Don't know what I'm missing here. Probably a lot. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1439122169][/DOUBLEPOST]I wasn't able to find an area to start a new thread.
    Thanks for moving my post.[DOUBLEPOST=1439123008][/DOUBLEPOST]Uninstalled the previous install and removed all MediaPortal files. The last install was over a previous install. This one just finished 2 minutes ago is a clean install. Unfortunately I am getting the exact same error when trying to launch the MP2 TV Configuration.[DOUBLEPOST=1439123085][/DOUBLEPOST]These are the logs from the latest install.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I did not try MP1 as what I've read it isn't friendly to HDHR prime withthe M-Card.
    If you are labouring with the understanding that MP2's CableCARD tuner support is different or better than MP1's then I can tell you right now that you are mistaken. As Lehmden rightly said, MP2 and MP1 currently use a shared component ("TVE 3") for TV support. Therefore you will get a similar experience regardless of whether you choose MP1 or MP2. I would actually argue that MP2's experience is worse right now because the problem you're experiencing does not exist with MP1. Nevertheless, if you insist that you want to persist with MP2 then there's nothing further I can do to help you, and all I can say is good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom