MP2 uninstalled with MP1? (1 Viewer)

dfraga

Portal Member
June 8, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Not sure if anyone has run into this before. Saturday, I decided to uninstall MP1. I chose the option to uninstall all MP components and files. I assumed it would only be MP1 since that was what I chose to uninstall in the control panel. Unfortunately not only did it uninstall MP1, but MP2 as well. Perhaps this has more to do with the MP1 uninstaller but just wanted to make everyone aware.

When I reinstalled MP2 I ran into some of the errors I've seen people posting about. It may have been due to something left on the system from the previous install. It didn't look like it did a full new installation. The server setup kept saying it couldn't open the atsc*.xml. I ended up having to clear everything out and do a full new installation. Everything seems to be working correctly again. It just took quite a bit of time to set it all back up and get everything back to normal. Is there a way to back up all of the settings and data etc.? It would sure be nice to have a quick way to get everything back if this happens in the future. Thanks!

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    uninstall all MP components and files.
    "All" is deleting the whole Team Mediaportal folders. This would not even uninstall MP1 and/or MP2 it also uninstalles MPTagThat, if you are using it.

Is there a way to back up all of the settings and data etc.?
    My Tool MP2-Edit has an option for fully automated, regular and invisible running Database backups. With the DB you got 90% of all settings in one (or two, if you are using LiveTV) file stored on the server. This is the most important thing to save as there are all your media sources, all you watched flags and all thumbnails are stored in. And that's the reason why there is a daily backup option...

There are a few config files from the server and from each client, mainly with settings for Weather location, or neesfeeds or similar. Those files are stored in the (usually hidden) Program Data folder. Default path is: "c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Client\" for the clients and "c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\" for the server. If you preserve this folders and copy them back after a fresh installation, the config of the System is back as you had it before. But be aware that especially the server folder could be huge as it contains the cache from all your movies or series metadata and fanart downloads...

And don't do a MP2 upgrade if you want to save your settings this way. It's not very common, but sometimes the format of some config files are changing with a new version of MP2. So if you want to do a clean install with a new version it probably is best to first update your MP2 system to the new version and after this save your settings before you uninstall MP2 (or ALL).

dfraga

Portal Member
    June 8, 2015
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks as usual Lehmden. I will try to set that up and see if it works. For the live TV, does it preserve the recording schedules and the channel mapping/tv guide data?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    does it preserve the recording schedules and the channel mapping/tv guide data?
    The the recording schedules and the channel mapping/tv guide data are stored in the TV Database and for this they are preserved if you use MP2-Edit for backup or do a manual backup of the DB file(s) ...
    The DB files are stored in "c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\Database\". If you prefer a manual copy of those files (datastore.s3db is the main MP2 database and MP2TVE_3.s3db is the database for TV engine 3.0) you first need to stop the running MP2 Server as if you copy the database while the MP2-Server is running the DB may not be completely saved to the file you copy. MP2-Edit did not make a simple filecopy, it works with a SQlite mechanism for backing up databases that are in use. That's why you don't need to stop the Server (or disturb a running recording or Live TV) if you are using MP2-Edit for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom