MP2 Webservices (4 Viewers)

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
February 4, 2009
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,

since i'm currently designing a more elegant Webservice to access the current MP 1.1/1.2 databases based on the MS MEF framework i'm thinking whether there is any interest in an MP2 based webservice to provide the same apis for MP2 like for MP1.

My idea is to design a generic api for movies, tv shows, music which will then be filled with data based on mef plugins.

The result could be an MP(-version) "independent" webservice which provides all information MP2(and 1) stores in it's database.

Are there any thoughts about web access(or UPNP independet API in general)?

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
February 4, 2009
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
The question is how much use has this api for mobile devices for example? As far as i know UPNP isn't the best supported way to get information on mobile platforms.

Smeulf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2010
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Re : Re: MP2 Webservices

The question is how much use has this api for mobile devices for example? As far as i know UPNP isn't the best supported way to get information on mobile platforms.

If I understand you correctly, you're first question was about an UPnP independent Web Service.

There is no sutch web service planned for MP2 actually (Albert please correct me if I'm wrong), and I don't think it will be. All the communications between the client and the server use UPnP, and later UPnP Av will be implemented, to work with more standard hardware.

If you think it's usefull to have a "Full Web Service API", you can of course create it as a plugin for the server but without breaking the actual UpNP please ;)

I hope it answer your question.

Cheers.

Smeulf.

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Re: Re : Re: MP2 Webservices

If you think it's usefull to have a "Full Web Service API", you can of course create it as a plugin for the server but without breaking the actual UpNP please ;)

I hope it answer your question.

Cheers.

Smeulf.

Of course it is useful, how else are we supposed to create all the mobile magic??? ;)

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: MP2 Webservices

The UPnP protocol consists of four sub protocols: The low level SSDP for the "Advertisement" - provides the "plug & play", with that protocol the control point finds the devices in the network; after the devices are known, HTTP is used for "description" = declaration of the supported devices, and later, SOAP is used for control = service calls. For eventing, a protocol called GENA is used.

If you don't want to use the full UPnP protocol "package", you can also only use the "control" part = SOAP calls.

What I want to say is; with our UPnP implementation, we already have a kind of "Full Web Service API", with additional UPnP features.

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Re: AW: MP2 Webservices

The UPnP protocol consists of three sub protocols: The low level SSDP for the "Advertisement" - provides the "plug & play", with that protocol the control point finds the devices in the network; after the devices are known, HTTP is used for "description" = declaration of the supported devices, and later, SOAP is used for control = service calls. For eventing, a protocol called GENA is used.

If you don't want to use the full UPnP protocol "package", you can also only use the "control" part = SOAP calls.

What I want to say is; with our UPnP implementation, we already have a kind of "Full Web Service API", with additional UPnP features.

I can only speak for the android part, and there Soap SUCKS ... big times. Now with the wcf services I have a nice and simple http api with json objects. UPnP is nice and good but I'd much prefer a simple http interface then having to deal with the full upnp package.

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Isn't UPnP supported natively on most new Android devices?

What about transcoding? Even with the evolving power of mobile devices, there'll probably always be a need for transcoding as we'll eventually get an successor to Full HD too. I don't know anything about MPII or UPnP, but would it be possible to implement that using the same framework too?

lulsam

Portal Pro
    December 28, 2006
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Yeah, maybe it is not fully related with the discussion started, but I think there are a lot of us praying for the evolution of TV-Server to Media-Server with streaming capabilities, not only inside the home network but crossing the boundaries to serve home media contents to the internet. I am wondering if a DLNA or uPnP could cover the internet streaming part of it. Transcoding is, of course a must, not only because the capabilities of the mobile devices but specially because of the available bandwidth when you are on the road.

Sure there are packages out there that provides DLNA (TVersity, mezzmo, etc.) or even HTTP capabilities (Wild Media Server), and could be used for complement the MePo functionalities, but it seems that the new MP2 architecture provider - model basedis able to deal with such a new media server intra+internet approach.

Anyway it is only my humbble opinion....

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    until mp2 has a tv server of its own .. im happy using WebMediaportal/MpExtended with Mp1

as for MP2 .. it would be great to see similar or improved webservices!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom