MP2 will not delete recordings - log in as admin or user account? (1 Viewer)

MLH01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi All,

I have recently switched to MP2 v2.1.3 after a long time with MP1 now that it is easier to set up with the TV service (for me at least). I have a main singleseat server/client setup and a couple of client-only machines. So far I am quite pleased with it, but have an issue trying to delete TV recordings.

The server is successfully recording TV, and I am able to watch live and recorded TV. However, I can not delete watched recordings from the server. So my question is: should the server be logged on with an admin account in order to do this? Are there any special permissions to set on the recording folder to allow a user account to delete recordings? The reason I prefer to log in as a user is to stop others from messing with settings.

I will probably have a few more questions as time goes on, but this is it for now :)

Any help appreciated. Cheers,
    Mike.

Last edited:

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The "delete" option is only available when:
    • The media item is on local system
    • The media item is on UNC path
    If it is a server-local media item, and you try to access it from a different client system, then media access happens via a read-only remote filesystem bridge. And because of the read-only, no delete option is offered.
    In your case you should:
    • Create a network share at the server (i.e. \\SERVER\Recordings), set matching privileges (like Read+Write for authenticated users)
    • Configure recordings folder inside TV configuration to use \\SERVER\Recordings

And UNC access is usually quite faster in starting and random access during playback of recordings.

MLH01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi morpheus_xx,

Much appreciated. Changing the network share to UNC instead of using the drive letter has fixed it. I can now delete the recordings from the list on the singleseat server as expected. It seems to have also fixed my other issue of not being able to watch live TV from the clients. I am now watching live TV on 2 client-only machines with no issues :)

I now need to sort out why the clients can't play recorded TV - I will leave that for another question if I can't figure it out from the logs.

Many thanks,
    Mike.

Last edited:

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    In your case you should:
    • Create a network share at the server (i.e. \\SERVER\Recordings), set matching privileges (like Read+Write for authenticated users)
    • Configure recordings folder inside TV configuration to use \\SERVER\Recordings
    Wouldn't it be possible to do this during installation as default path? I'm asking because the recordings share is set automatically when entering (or more precise: leaving) SetupTV.exe for the first time. So most users need to modify the recordings share later by hand nevertheless. It would be much easier to do this instantly as there are only advantages in using UNC path compared to drive letters...

MLH01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi.

Wouldn't it be possible to do this during installation as default path? I'm asking because the recordings share is set automatically when entering (or more precise: leaving) SetupTV.exe for the first time. So most users need to modify the recordings share later by hand nevertheless. It would be much easier to do this instantly as there are only advantages in using UNC path compared to drive letters...
    I think defaulting to UNC paths would be a good idea if it is possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom