mp4 playback problem on amd system (1 Viewer)

bc0508

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 16, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I been fighting this for sometime I built a amd system with a ati gpu and I am having a time with mp4 files suttering or freezeing some time no picture but sounds. I have used saf 6 like on my intel machines and now shark but the same issue. Seems to play mkv and avi fine.
    I have pulled the files to the local harddisk and the same problem. I had all my codeec set as saf 6 recommend. Now I have set them to the microsoft ones.
    The files will play flawless in windows media player.
    Specs of the pc.
    ASRock E350M1 AMD E-350 Dual-Core/ AMD A50M/ DDR3/ SATA3/ A&V&GbE/ Mini-ITX Motherboard

Product Features

• Processor: AMD Dual-Core E-350 Processor; Supports AMD's Cool 'n' Quiet Technology; FSB 2.5 GT/s
    • Chipset: AMD A50M
    • Memory: 2x DDR3-1066/800 DIMMs, Non-ECC/Un-buffered, Max Capacity upto 16GB
    • Slots: 1x PCI-Express 2.0 x16 Slot(run at x4)
    • SATA: 4x SATA3 Ports; 1x eSATA3 Port
    • Audio: Realtek ALC892 7.1-Channel HD Audio CODEC, Support Premium Blu-ray
    • LAN: Realtek RTL8111E PCI-Express x1 Gigabit Ethernet Controller, Supports Wake-On-LAN
    • Video: Integrated AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphic Controller, Max. shared Memory 512MB; Support Pixel Shader 5.0 and DirectX 11
    • Windows 7 64bit
    • 8 gb of ram
    I hope someone has ran in to the I tried everything i can think of.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi bc0508

So the CPU is not particularly powerful, and neither is the GPU. Since the mp4 files are likely to contain h.264, it would be critical to use codecs that support GPU accelerated video decoding in order for playback to be smooth.

Question:
    - what is the video resolution of the mp4 files that you're testing with?
    - what is the frame rate of the mp4 files that you're testing with?
    - do you know what mp4 splitter you are using?

It would *really* help if you could post logs as required for support threads like this. The hardware info is great, but we need to know what is going on "under the hood" for MP, and the only way for us to know that is through reading the logs.

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/Forum/How_to_post_logs

Please follow the instructions for reproducible problems. When you get to the part about reproducing the problem, simply play one of the mp4s that is causing you grief for 30 seconds or so.

mm

bc0508

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 16, 2011
    Home Country
    They are 1080p. I am not sure the frame rate or the mp4 splitter.
    I have attached the logs. I played the file for a good min it did the same problem.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

So a few comments...
    First, by the looks of it you're attempting to play a 24p video with a 60 Hz screen, without any frame rate conversion. I could be wrong but that seems to be the problem. I strongly recommend you enable dynamic refresh rate changing (see here) and see whether that helps at all.

Also, I can't tell which splitter is being used from the logs but you do have a bunch of random splitters installed including the Haali splitter. The Haali splitter is often installed by codec packs but is now getting outdated and known for having problems with certain mp4 formats. I recommend you uninstall the Shark codec pack and stick with the Microsoft codec for video and LAV for audio. The LAV splitter is very good for mp4s.

mm

bc0508

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 16, 2011
    Home Country
    Thanks MM I will give it a try in the in am and remove the codec pack and use your suggestions.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just to add to mm's advice.

What happens if you run the mp4 file through mkvmerge (takes a couple of minutes) does the resulting mkv file play any better.

ps. use the desktop MP extentions installer to install the LAV filters, you will need to enable under the Windows START menu, the LAV video acceleration for your card, that could be dxva or dxva (copyback), also configure LAV audio if using external amplifier.
    This way if newer versions become available, updating LAV filters will keep all your settings.

bc0508

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 16, 2011
    Home Country
    Just wanted to update i changed the "enable dynamic refresh rate" and did the lav filters and it is working great now.

Thanks for the help.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Cheers for reporting back bc0508 - I'm glad that you managed to get it working. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom