MP4 Video files not playing (2 Viewers)

bigl

Portal Member
December 26, 2007
Home Country
I have just installed mp2 alpha 4 and dont really know what is going on

When first installed neither mp2 or mp4 videos would run
I changed the Settings - players - codecs - videos -mp2 - to htMeg2 video decoder from LAV and mp2 files now run
However none of the three mp4 codecs seem to run.

Any hints - should I have unloaded a codecs package

bigl

Portal Member
December 26, 2007
Home Country
I have done a little more digging and found the log at C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Client\Log\ (enclosed)

I am running on Win 7
I found a folder which I think was installed in a failed attempt to make MP2 (alpha 3 work) C:\Program Files\LAV Filters\
however when Home - Settings Players Codecs Video Codecs (MPEG4) is set to LaV video decoder to run notvideo appears. being fair that also occurs on any of the other three options

note the I have used Makmvd and handbrake to create the mp4 files I am trying to run[DOUBLEPOST=1395861889][/DOUBLEPOST]more data - the mp4 files did play on MP 1.6 installed on a computer that has just crashed and burned. The replacement computer is arriving on monday. hence my rush to understand the problem.

Last edited:

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hm... No errors, but this strikes me as strange
    Code:
    [2014-03-27 05:53:52,187] [41622  ] [DX Render] [WARN ] - Serious problem while triangulating polygon ''
    Perhaps if you can UL a small sample of the vid., @Testers or others can give it a try?

bigl

Portal Member
    December 26, 2007
    Home Country
    I have just made a 30 sec Test.mp4 (6MB) .

I have checked it to make sure it does not run

it would not upload as Test.mp4 so I have renamed it Test.txt

Attachments

• Test.txt
      5.7 MB

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    [2014-03-27 05:53:52,187] [41622 ] [DX Render] [WARN ] - Serious problem while triangulating polygon ''
    This is no problem as it infects only the Skin Engine and is a well known Bug (fixed in meantime afaik)...

In general, mp4 is just a container with some limitations compared to mkv (which is the best container today). Normally a mp4 container holds one video track coded with mpeg4 (from Xvid to h264/AVC) and one or two audio tracks... LAVF can split and decode all this without any issues. And for that MP2 can play those files properly. But if you use codecs not specified for mp4 container then probably this can't be played...

I've tested the sample file. It works for me. But you should think of your workflow creating those files. Your mp4 contains video track with variable framerate between 12 and 25fps. This is very strange and causes lot of trouble all over the place. You never should use variable framerate (don't misunderstand it as variable bitrate! what's ok of course) to create a video file. Lots of syncing problems and no chance for e.g. Dynamic Refreshrate Changer to set a proper refreshrate....

codecs package
    No codec packs on Windows 7, never! None of them is working correct, normally they'll only destroy windows direct show system by installing tons of crap no one can use... Only thing you'll ever need on Win7 is LAVF...

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Looking at your log it seems as if the file is played for about 10 seconds until someone quits the video playback... Looks all normal to me.

bigl

Portal Member
    December 26, 2007
    Home Country
    Thanks for the help and feedback Lehmden

I am not sure what to do
    1. I have about 100 of these .mp4 files and don't really want to have to redo them - As MP 1.6 played these files should I just stick with this
    2. I guess that the problem with the variable framerate is in the Handbrake compression from mkv to mp4
    3. I have no idea (now) how the LAV filters got there - should I try to get rid of them and how would you do it
    [DOUBLEPOST=1395940412][/DOUBLEPOST]The log file was as I watched the 30 sec video - sound was fine but there was no picture.- This was exactly the same problem at I had with mp2 until I changed the codec (as mentioned in the first post)

I think that what Lehmden is saying is that the problem is my setup of MP2. alpha 4. Have you any suggestions about what I should do. I am rather worried as I get a new computer on Monday (Win 7) and am not sure if it is wise to install MP2 on it with all of the mistakes I am making;

Not sure if this makes sense (Its 4 in the morning here and I am feeling a bit punch drunk)

Last edited:

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    should I try to get rid of them
    No, You need LAVF to playback MKV and some other sources as Windows can't do it alone. That's why LAVF is bundled with MP...

I guess that the problem with the variable framerate is in the Handbrake compression from mkv to mp4
    Compression has nothing to do with mp4 or mkv. Both are only containers without any compression or something like this. Think of it as a box, containing all video, audio subtitle,.. tracks your video contains.

Lets use a Burger as example. You have the meat, the bread, the salad, the sauce. The meat now stands for the video track, the bread is the audio track, the salad is the subtitle track and the sauce is some metatags... All together is the food you like to eat. Meat without bread, salad or sauce is no burger as I understand a burger... So you need all of those to make it a burger. To transport a burger from one place to another you'll put it into a box. This box is the container (mkv or mp4 or mpg or avi or ts or mov or wmv or...) If you put a burger out of a McDonalds box into a BurgerKing Box you don't change the burger itself... McDonalds and BurgerKing are mkv and mp4 in this example.... The box itself don't do anything about the taste of the burger.
    Some boxes are smaller than others so not every burger fits to every box. And to stay in this example, the biggest box is mkv as you can put simply anything into a mkv and it plays well.

As MP 1.6 played these files should I just stick with this
    If MP1.6 plays this MP2 plays this also... If not there is something wrong with your MP2 setup...

Edit:
    I have about 100 of these .mp4 files and don't really want to have to redo them
    You don't need to redo them. Just check your workflow to not use variable framerate in future...

Last edited:

bigl

Portal Member
    December 26, 2007
    Home Country
    obviously i dont know what I am doing so I
    1. Unistalled mp 2
    2. unintalled the LAV Filters)
    3. Reinstalled it with a log (attached)
    4. Installed MP1.6
    The result was MP1.6 played all video files (without modification)
    mp2 played none of the video files.

once again any help would be appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom