MPC-MPA decoder filter and volume control (1 Viewer)

mdg78

Portal Member
February 23, 2009
Providence, RI
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I am not sure if this has been covered elsewhere. If it has, I apologize. I searched the forums and could not find anything.

My problem is that the MPC-MPA decoder filter gives me the best sound for TV, and I happen to be using it for DVD videos as well. It works great, though I do not have volume control with it. If I select another codec, the sound is not as good, but I can control it via MP. When I look into this further, if I use the MPC-MPA decoder, and adjust my main system volume, this also does not affect the sound to my receiver, so I have no volume control. Is there a way to modify this so I can control the volume level, though still use this codec?

I am using MP 1.02 with my system, which consists of gigabyte ga-e7aum-ds2h MB using onboard graphics and sound. I am using s pdif as my receiver does not have HDMI. Additionally, I have a HD-PVR to get live TV. (I do not believe these details are necessary, though I include them in case they might be).

Thanks,
Michael

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I am using MP 1.02 with my system, which consists of gigabyte ga-e7aum-ds2h MB using onboard graphics and sound. I am using s pdif as my receiver does not have HDMI. Additionally, I have a HD-PVR to get live TV. (I do not believe these details are necessary, though I include them in case they might be).

What audio format those channels do have that you are watching? I would assume AC-3. Most likely the audio gets bit streamed from the codec to the audio renderer (and to the receiver). There is no way to change the audio level in that case as bitstreaming is always 100% the original audio, not even volume levels are possible to be changed. All the processing must be done on the amplifier side.

mdg78

Portal Member
    February 23, 2009
    Providence, RI
    Home Country
    Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the channels are AC-3. That's a bummer. I was hoping I could adjust the volume and minimize the number of remotes I am using.

Michael

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    if it's really important to you then it can be done, you just have to setup your system to disable ac3 passthru and re-encode everything to dts. when it is re-encoded then volume will have an effect, however i think that leaving things the way the are and using the receiver for volume control is more elegant solution.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    if it's really important to you then it can be done, you just have to setup your system to disable ac3 passthru and re-encode everything to dts. when it is re-encoded then volume will have an effect, however i think that leaving things the way the are and using the receiver for volume control is more elegant solution.

Elegant and preserves the quality as well :)

mdg78

Portal Member
    February 23, 2009
    Providence, RI
    Home Country

Interesting. How would I turn off ac-3 passthrough?

Additionally, I am using a HD-PVR (in US this is my best option currently as I need to have a cable box), and the audio comes through as AC-3. So, I am not actually "encoding". Would this still work?

Michael

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    should still work, you need to use a different audio decoder to the default mpa decoder. i would choose between ffdshow tryouts (latest stable build) or ac3filter. Probably choose ffdshow. if your gonna mess with your system then make a ghost image backup of your system drive using "hiren's bootcd" (with old version of acronis true image which is on the cd)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom