[confirm] MPEG2 discontinuities and dropped frames (1 Viewer)

twemperor

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    TsReader wont ever drop frames - what you are seeing is that TSReader is patching the timestamps to keep A/V sync after startup or seek. If there is no visible difference in the video playback itself then you should just ignore those really verbose log lines that TsReader writes.

Well, I am seeing very visible difference, ~40% dropped frames. In looking through the logs, this is the only other difference I can find and I'm trying to correlate. This may be an unimportant difference, but it's correlated.
    Does the framerate of the content you play match the freq. of your display?
    i.e. 25fps - 50 Hz or 30fps - 60 Hz.

with 25fps on 60Hz you will have many dropped frames. that is normal.

For this show in particular, the framerate should both be 60Hz for the display and content. However, I am used to seeing a few dropped frames, or some small sync.

With a completely fresh install of 1.2 Beta on another machine running Vista, playback is fine. I know one difference between XP and Vista is that on XP I use VMR9 and on Vista I tried both VMR9 and EVR. I'm inclined to think this is not a bug, but I need to figure out what the problem is on the XP machine. When I do, I'll post it here in case anyone else has difficulty.

rsenden

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2006
    Rotterdam, NL
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Well, I am seeing very visible difference, ~40% dropped frames.

For this show in particular, the framerate should both be 60Hz for the display and content. However, I am used to seeing a few dropped frames, or some small sync.

With a completely fresh install of 1.2 Beta on another machine running Vista, playback is fine. I know one difference between XP and Vista is that on XP I use VMR9 and on Vista I tried both VMR9 and EVR. I'm inclined to think this is not a bug, but I need to figure out what the problem is on the XP machine. When I do, I'll post it here in case anyone else has difficulty.

Did you ever find a solution for this? I just upgraded MediaPortal from 1.1.2 to 1.2.1, and I'm seeing similar results. On 1.1.2 playback was mostly smooth, on 1.2.1 playback is stuttering quite a lot (all SD TV recordings). As you, my HTPC is running XP.

twemperor

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

Did you ever find a solution for this? I just upgraded MediaPortal from 1.1.2 to 1.2.1, and I'm seeing similar results. On 1.1.2 playback was mostly smooth, on 1.2.1 playback is stuttering quite a lot (all SD TV recordings). As you, my HTPC is running XP.

It's been a few months, but a 'clean' install of MediaPortal seemed to do it (not just an upgrade). I also upgraded to Windows 7 at about the same time, which I recommend doing.

rsenden

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2006
    Rotterdam, NL
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    It's been a few months, but a 'clean' install of MediaPortal seemed to do it (not just an upgrade). I also upgraded to Windows 7 at about the same time, which I recommend doing.

Thanks. I already started with a clean install, and upgrading to Win7 is not an option unfortunately. I have been playing around a bit though, and although I haven't done enough testing to tell for sure, it seems to look a lot better now.

One thing I noticed was that TvService was continuously using 10-15% of CPU due to this bug: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...r-unconditionally-checks-every-second-101689/. Changing to the PowerScheduler++ plug-in with a 60s check interval seems to have helped. I also disabled two Nvidia picture enhancements/filters (were previously set to application-controlled).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom