MPExtended,MP2, web client, aMPdroid and databases (1 Viewer)

T^2

Portal Pro
December 9, 2013
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
So looking at the MPExtended configurator under plugins... You can set the location for your various databases (MP MyVideo for example). My question is... What about MP2 databases? If I set MP up on my machine, will I still be able to use the web client and aMPdroid with MP2 and access all of the MP2 databases?

skorz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 19, 2011
    Deutschland
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Short Question, is this something come around in the near future? Iam willing to go with the MP2 Alpha, but dont want miss ampdroid :)

MrTechno

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2011
    London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    OK, long answer.

Thanks to the way @Oxan designed the MPExtended architecture each of the functional groups (music, playlists, series etc) is written as a plugin to connect the web API to the backend. That means there's nothing to stop someone writing plugins that implement the function groups by using MP2.

So why not write the plugins? Well one issue is to do with limitations on how MP2 represents collections (albums, artists, series) which makes even simple functions like an album count are tricky to implement. There's an ongoing MP2 dev debate about how to support these things but whatever is decided would mean reworking any code written now. The other issue is to do with performance and app structure. MPExtended runs as a service and the plugins run inside it, so the MP2 plugins would act like an MP2 client talking to the server over UPnP. A more performant way to do it would be to integrate the plugins into the MP2 server but MPExtended uses WCF to give it a web container and MP2 has a built in one which doesn't support the web API features. There's talk of switching MP2 server to OWIN but that would mean rework as well.

All of which means unless someone is working on this in secret and doesn't mind working on it a lot more in the future I'm afraid using aMPdroid in MP2 is going to be while.

sf1

March 12, 2014
    Home Country
    Slovakia Slovakia
    So it looks like not very good strategy. I will probably return to n1 version. How long will you support it?
    In the future everybody will want to have access to database with all devices include ipad and android.
    It would be usefull to have also html5 support for direct playing in browsers without need to install a client.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    In the future everybody will want to have access to database with all devices include ipad and android.
    That's true for sure. And there definitely will be a solution from inside MP2, no doubt about that... Please keep in mind, MP2 is still at Alpha state. But if the mobile solution is the MPExtended way, I don't know. The development of MPE has slow down a lot lately as the dev(s) are busy in real life. Last release is from summer 2013... ATM we're still busy with the core components of MP2. And it didn't make sense to implement "external" functions (like mobile access) as long as the core will be changing in near future...

When I look through my "magic glasses" I can see that at the end of this year a mobile access is implemented "the MP2 way"* in MP2.0 Beta 2... ;)

* The MP2 way = "do it, but do it right!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom