Audio Codec: NVidia Purevideo
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: ACCENT HT-400B
Power Supply: 480W
Remote:
TV: Sagem Axium HD-D50 50"
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI-HDMI

Hello.
It appears like MP sets the merit value for the MPV and MPA codecs too high. On my HTPC they are 0x40000002 while my prefered codec(NVIDIA) is "only" 0x00800001
I have checked in MP setup that Nvidia is used. But when I play movies outside of MP the MPV and MPA codecs are used instead. I have verified this with GSpot, Graphedit and Radlight Filter Manager.

What I have heard MP is not using merit values but graphs instead so then it would be more logical to have "normal" or "not prefered" merit value for MPV and MPA.

I think there has been some typing error or something which put 0x400 instead of 0x004 for the MPV and MPA codec. :confused:

Now I have to manually decrease the merit for MPV and MPA in order for me to use Nvidia purevideo outside MP. :(

Can this be solved?

See also this thread for more information:
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/viewtopic.php?t=16915

Thanks.

Glith

Portal Pro
April 19, 2006
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Since MediaPortal is using the codecs and is indirectly messing up the system for people(even if it isnt your intention) shouldnt you be the one contacting the guy you got the codec(problem) from?

You cant seriously expect everyone using MediaPortal to contact the developers of the parts integrated into MediaPortal... :jawdrop:

It is if Microsoft borrowed/bought some code from Symantec or whatever and if it fucked up the computer then they wouldnt tell the end user to contact Mozilla directly like you just did.

I have however sent an email to Gabest, but no response what so ever so far.
:(

Please contact him and get this fixed since you already have some connection with him and tell him that he has problems with the codecs you use for MediaPortal,

This is a built in MediaPortal problem and not an end user problem even if I found it.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi Glith,

I don't like the tone of your post - it comes across as very demanding and unappreciative.

You know as well as any of us that MediaPortal is built and supported by a community of volunteers, and if there is something about this "free" software that you don't like, and that you are able to fix, then I suggest that you step up to the plate and get it fixed yourself!

Please don't try to pass off to someone else, something you are quite capable of doing yourself.

This could be your small contribution to improving MediaPortal...;)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Glith said:
    This is a built in MediaPortal problem and not an end user problem even if I found it.
    it isnt.

Merits
    The whole merit discussion leads to nothing.

If the current Merit settings were not working on your system you can simply change them with radlight

or do not install MPV and MPA during the MediaPortal installation if you are going for Nvidia Purevideo.

Gabest uses high merit setting?
    NO

MPV uses 0x40000002 and thats just fine because it is not a high merit. in fact it is far below normal.

STANDARDIZED MERIT VALUES

MERIT_PREFERRED = 0x800000
    MERIT_NORMAL = 0x600000
    MERIT_UNLIKELY = 0x400000
    MERIT_DO_NOT_USE = 0x200000
    MERIT_SW_COMPRESSOR = 0x100000
    MERIT_HW_COMPRESSOR = 0x100050

conclusion
    The main problem is never the merit setting.
    the problem is that some applications let windows decide which codec is best to be used based on the merits, instead of providing an option where the user can select the prefered codec.

thats also exactly the problem GBPVR has.

***EDIT***
    what i missed is that in that merit from MPV there seem to be too much "0".
    that would need to be tested.
    btw. this merit setting is done by the codecs, not by the MediaPortal installer.

Glith

Portal Pro
    April 19, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Infinityloop:
    You are wrong regarding the merits... The 0 are correct but in the wrong places..

You forgot two "00" in front of the values...

"MPV uses 0x40000002 and thats just fine because it is not a high merit. in fact it is far below normal. " Here it is way higher than normal.

STANDARDIZED MERIT VALUES(According to RadLight)

MERIT_PREFERRED = 0x00800000
    MERIT_NORMAL = 0x00600000
    MERIT_UNLIKELY = 0x00400000
    MERIT_DO_NOT_USE = 0x00200000

MPV and MPA is 0x400.. They should have 0x004

Taipan:
    The tone is not that bad i think.. Maybe it is because I'm swedish.. ;-)
    I HAVE mailed the codec developer but it seems they dont read my email. My thought was since MediaPortal uses the codecs and already has some contact with the developers it would be better if the MediaPortal devs contacted the people they got the codec from.
    MediaPortal is great and I love it.. I just want to improve it but I dont seem to be able to.. If you have the phone number to the Codec developer I could give him a call.. But like I said, My email didnt do it.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Glith: i have copied the Merit values from RadLight, thats why the first "00" is missing
    View attachment 800

The current Merit value is set by the codec NOT by the installer of MediaPortal!
    However i have contacted gabest to find out why he is using this Merit.

0x00400000 = MERIT_UNLIKELY
    0x40000002 = Merit used for MPV

since this is not a MediaPortal bug, this thread is closed now.
    lets move on.
    watch the news and changelog for further informations

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom