MPW Wake Up NAT settings (1 Viewer)

htpcoz

Portal Pro
July 25, 2005
Brisbane
Home Country
Hi,

I'm looking to use the online mpw wake up by Maschine. I've read the doco and it says that it is possible to use the online wake up through a NAT firewall/router with the appropriate port forwarding configured.

Does anyone know just off hand what the necessary port(s) that need to be forwarded are ?

I can setup the offline version, and use ethereal to sniff it, but if anyone has already done it, no point in reinventing the wheel :)

Thanks.

Maschine

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 15, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi!

Hmm, as you say this now I see that I indeed did not describe this in the docs... Reason is that my Router can't be used for this feature as it doesn't support this broadcast thing so I couldn't test... There were several people crying "Give us WOL" but when I asked for volunteers to test some things like this which I couldn't there was 0 reply.

The bed calls now so I'll look in this tomorrow. The magic packet to wake up the HTPC is sent on UDP port 9. Maybe this helps you already, otherwise an more exact answer tomorrow ;-)

Maschine

htpcoz

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2005
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    thanks for the reply.

I did a bit of a dig and found that WOL is typically implemented with UDP port 9 or UDP port 32767.

I have configured my router (a Linksys wrt54G running alchemy firmware) to forward both ports to the broadcast address (192.168.1.255) and no go.

I'll setup ethereal on my network to sniff the packets. If I run wol.exe locally from one of my other machines there is no problem, however the wol from your website just doesn't want to wake it up.

I'll let you know how I get along with the packet sniffer.

sciutand

Portal Member
    February 4, 2005
    also you need to forward those ports in your router to your computer IP address hosting MPW otherwise it will still not work.

AS

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom