Multi-disk Changer (1 Viewer)

jeffp

Portal Pro
October 4, 2005
USA
Not sure if this is the right area or not but figured it was a good place to start.

Does anyone have or know of anyone who has a multi-disk DVD changer working with Media Portal? What I'm looking to do is attach a 200 disk DVD changer to my HTPC and would like Media Portal to be able to index all the DVD's into the Video Database. Is this possible if so how is it being done?

Thanks!

Leon_Gjerland

Portal Pro
February 1, 2005
Home Country
Norway Norway
Why not create images of your DVD's and mount them with Daemon-tools which is supportet by MP?

I don't know how much a changer costs, but I persume 1 TB of diskspace is cheaper, and with an average of 5GB pr DVD there will be room for 200 DVD's.

In addition, they will be accessible for mutipple PC's at the time.

--------
Leon

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Why not create images of your DVD's and mount them with Daemon-tools which is supportet by MP?

I don't know how much a changer costs, but I persume 1 TB of diskspace is cheaper, and with an average of 5GB pr DVD there will be room for 200 DVD's.

In addition, they will be accessible for mutipple PC's at the time.

--------
    Leon

I have thought along the same lines of buying a DVD changer. It is cheaper than buying HD! As an example I found on ebay the following: DVP-CX995V SONY 400 DVD CHANGER for US $278.95 (buy it now). I would think that modifying the code in the DVD plugin that dukus created it could be made to work!

jeffp

Portal Pro
    October 4, 2005
    USA
    Moving forward I have got into the practice of ripping DVD's to HD. However, I have over 300 DVD's that I owned prior to building my HTPC. The amount of time it would take to go back and rip all of those DVD's is not worth it to me, I would rather stick those in a changer and just continue the practice of ripping new DVD's. I'm also not really concerned about sharing those DVD's to other areas of the house I have plenty of movies on HD (over 200) that will fill that void.

I have been doing some reasearch and Sony has a VAIO solution out now (200 Changer) that is supported by MCE and I have found that you can also run a changer in Meedio using the Playmee plugin so it can be done. Hopefully someone will take up the challange and add this feature to Media Portal and continue to make this the best media platform out there.

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Canberra
    Home Country
    yeah techncially it should be cheaper for the changer, at a guess. If you look at that one from Mzemina it holds 400 , so you would need roughly 6 x HDD of 320gig to hold that amount which is around $840

320gig HDD = $140 (approx 64 dvds on there)

I would like the changer for the less popular movies and just keep putting my favourites on the HDD and the rest can go in the stacker, would be sweet

zswman

Portal Pro
    April 23, 2006
    Mountain View, CA USA
    I know I would use the capability. As mzemina pointed-out, it should interface w/ My DVDs.

There are a number of challenges to overcome w/ providing such a plugin. It would be easiest to i/f w/ those w/ an RS232 interface, but most do not have one, they use IR. All changers have a unique sequence to initiate any given disk - my sony CD changer allows me to simply hit 'disk' then '#' then 'enter' and it selects and plays it. My DVD changer (again sony), doesn't accept a disk key and you MUST go through the folder option to type in a #, then 'enter.' Furthermore, to work reliably a script must work even when the disk is playing intros or trailers where the DVD software has locked-out keys like 'folder' or 'next chapter' or 'ff.' In this event it needs to initiate a stop sequence first, wait the approriate amount of time (my changer won't "queue" commands correctly), then hit 'folder,' etc. I am assuming two different brands of changers will have similar differences.

I learned all of this writing a script through Homeseer to control my changers; it was ultimately successful, but it took a lot of tailoring to make both changers work.

Would love to see it though! (actually, just a MY Programs interface from My DVDs would work for me because I could call my Homeseer scripts).

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    Well there is always the Sony-VGP-XL1B2-Media-Changer which can be found on Amazon for $USD299 after rebate.
    102-0158788-8583374

Capacity for 200 CD/DVD discs, DVD-R Double Layer/DVD±RW drive, i.LINK interface.

From the manufacturer: The Sony VAIO XL1B is a 200 disc CD/DVD Changer/Recorder that connects to your Windows XP MCE 2005 PC to create an exciting, interactive entertainment experience. Load the VAIO XL1B with up to 200 CDs and the system automatically and sequentially copies your CD collection to your hard drive. Discs inserted into your VAIO XL1B Changer/Recorder are automatically detected by your PC which downloads metadata for each disc, including box art and artist information, making browsing your CD/DVD collection easy and fun. And with multi-DVD burning, you can conserve PC hard drive space by automatically and sequentially archiving your favorite TV programs to DVD.

The interface/plugin would have to be very customized to make it work! It appears to allow ripping onto your hard disks, not exactly what we were talking about.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    I did find that the Pioneer DV-F727 301 disc DVD changer does have a system control connection. But it is via a mini-plug. It could be that someone has hacked the control system and nows how to connect with a serial connection (it is possible) - It is a Pioneer based so if you point your remote at a Pioneer reciever it will control the DVD changer without a IR blaster!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom