Multiple channels without multiple CAMcards? (1 Viewer)

Arn01805

Portal Pro
July 31, 2006
Breda
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Thanks for your reply gibman,

The wiki page with the cams I searched for this before, but didn't found this.

I this wiki I can confirm that:

Alphacrypt 3.09 Conax, Irdeto1+2, BetaCrypt, CryptoWorks. max 14 pids
works with at least 3 channels on my firedtv-c box (dutch casema)

and

aston crypt 1.07 SECA/Mediaguard 2 tv channels
works with 2 channels on my firedtv-s box. (dutch canaldigitaal)

Still I'm wondering about the last part in my previous post, is it possible to route a PID or transportstream from the PC to a CAM for decryption so that decoding from a different tuner can be done. If this is technically possible and can be implemented in Mediaportal someday then this would make a LOT of people happy!

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I have no idea if this is possible.
    Although I am very tempted to say that it isn't.

I guess u have to ask the manufacturer ?

/gibman

BestRip

Portal Member
    February 20, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I don't know about the technical details about the CAM-cards, what they handle and in what turns they do it.
    Apparently some commercial boxes like the Samsung I referred to earlier in the thread can handle at least 2 channels, with 2 tuners no doubt, but with only 1 CAM-card.

It dawned on me when starting this thread that in MP I'll have to get an awful lot of these CAM-cards and their paid subscriptions in order to be able to record 2 or more (not on the same transponder/MUX?) channels while watching a 3'rd or 4'th... IF not the box or tv-card I use for MP contains more than one tuner.

Is there another way? SmartWi? or how should I go about getting more than 1 channel at the same time in MP? (I have at some point been able to record one channel while watching another... these channels was on the same frequency so this is not what I mean).

Arn01805

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2006
    Breda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    @gibman: Isn't this something we can conclude when looking at the BDA driver model? I'm not familiar with this, but I can imagine if we receive a encrypted transponder and have to send back an encrypted transportstream(channel) to the device for decryption by the cam, that we can send this encrypted stream to another device for encryption.

Is there another way? SmartWi? or how should I go about getting more than 1 channel at the same time in MP? (I have at some point been able to record one channel while watching another... these channels was on the same frequency so this is not what I mean).

This is exactly what I'm aiming at.. I'm wondering if this is technological impossible, or that this is something nobody every tried before. If it works, this would be an awsome feature..

For SmartWi you still need more CAMs, so if this solution can be made in software, that would be preferable.

alc_aardvark

Portal Member
    January 9, 2008
    From the reading I have done, $ky+ performs recording and simultaneous viewing of a second channel by only dec rpting the stram that is being viewed. i.e the stream that is being recorded is recorded as a raw (encrypted) stream, and then on playback it is decrypted.

I would like MediaPortal to be able to do something similar as follows:
    - Record stream without attempting to decrypt it. This will allow recording of as many channels as you have cards.
    - Decrypt the stream when viewing (using the CAM / card on ONE of the DVB-S cards)

- Have a background decrypt job to decrypt recordings using the available CAM / card (on ONE DVB-S card). Then the old records can be watched on another client machine (after decrypted).

To recap
    ======
    Have many DVB-S cards, but only ONE has a CI module with a CAM and Card. Possibly have many CAM's and Cards and correct one is used for decryption as and when required.

Is this possible????

hassegubben

Portal Pro
    November 25, 2006
    Uppsala
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    great feature

I agree! That would be a really great feature. I don't mind recording scrambled channels at all. I guess 99% of all people watch their recordings on a main screen anyway. The benefit is that only one pay card is needed, but you can use all DVB tuners simultaneously anyway.

alc_aardvark

Portal Member
    January 9, 2008
    >I guess 99% of all people watch their recordings on a main screen anyway

You would still be able to watch it on another screen once it has been decoded by a background task (when the CI / CAM / Card become free).

i.e. when watching a non-encrypted channel or a DVD or nothing, then the encrypted recordings can be decrypted for playback on any client machine.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    DVB cards and their API's support the decoding proces usualy only for the stream being received.

Arn01805

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2006
    Breda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    DVB cards and their API's support the decoding proces usualy only for the stream being received.

That's too bad.., but.. if it were possible then all up here should be supported???
    This would cut off a lot of expenses for buying cams and smartcard(subscriptions)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom