multiple clients - any way to sync databases (1 Viewer)

bob808

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2008
    Hampshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have 3 MP setups in my home, the master client/server, and 2 remote clients. Is there any way to automatically set the 2 clients to auto import watched flags and episode data from the 'master' machine? Keeping the art selected, and the watched flags in sync would be fantastic, but this seems to be a manual exercise at present unless I am missing something.

Is any work being done to introduce this in a future version as a configurable option?

Thanks

bob808

bwg

Portal Pro
    December 25, 2007
    Home Country
    I think the only option at the moment is to locate the databases in a single location (shared) that both installs can reach, however this is not recommended due to eventual corruption of the databases (I can vouch for this!). IIRC it is due to mysql - it is only designed for single access and no good when multiple clients try to access the same db at the same time.

I think this will only be corrected in the move to mp2 (except for moving pictures plugin which is working on this independently).

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    The other option is to have the master be independent and have all the slaves copy the database. You can copy fine without corruption, the only downside is that watched status from any slave is not copied back to the master. Others however have written applications for this, but you are once again venturing into unsupported ares, so results may vary, and corruption risks increases.

If however you do 99% of the watching in the livingroom, then you make that the 'master' database, it is easy to then update any watched flags from the remaining 1% manually, because you at least have all the benefits of a single maintained database. One thing I forgot to mention as answer on the MovPic thread where you asked the same question, is that you have to block all the relative sites at hosts/firewall level, unless you manually disable update from web sources each time, or configure all the plugins to only run imports manually.

For example MP-TVSeries running on the slaves/clients will also try to contact thetvdb.com on every import if configured to update auto, so by adjusting thetvdb.com to goto 127.0.0.1 inside hosts (or block it with PeerBlock, or other util), you prevent the slaves/clients from being able to download any updates, since you rely on the master/server to do this.

Using trakt/follw.it properly you can however mitigate the watched flag problem across all the systems, because if properly configured it will sync both ways, so watching something on slaves/clients will also update the status on master/server.

ejvdh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 26, 2010
    Home Country
    @ RoChess
    You said: "Using trakt/follw.it properly you can however mitigate the watched flag problem across all the systems, because if properly configured it will sync both ways, so watching something on slaves/clients will also update the status on master/server."

How does this sync-ing both ways work when you've re-installed and re-scanned your database and you have an existing follw.it account with watched flags from a previous installation? I would like to update the new database with the watched flags from the follw.it account, so obviously I want only sync-ing one way (not updating the follw.it account with the new database which says all movies unwatched...). I don't see any configuration options for sync-ing.

Thanks!

Erik

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    @ RoChess
    You said: "Using trakt/follw.it properly you can however mitigate the watched flag problem across all the systems, because if properly configured it will sync both ways, so watching something on slaves/clients will also update the status on master/server."

How does this sync-ing both ways work when you've re-installed and re-scanned your database and you have an existing follw.it account with watched flags from a previous installation? I would like to update the new database with the watched flags from the follw.it account, so obviously I want only sync-ing one way (not updating the follw.it account with the new database which says all movies unwatched...). I don't see any configuration options for sync-ing.

Thanks!

Erik

Just configure the Follw.it account and it should do it automatic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom