multiple iptv - 1 channel per card but i only want to be able to watch 1 at a timr (1 Viewer)

jonathantwynham

Portal Pro
March 27, 2013
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
hi.

not sure if this is the right palace to ask.... but here goes....

i am using vlc with directshow to stream my desktop into tv server. i have got it working in that regards and can watch my vlc stream as a channel. the next step is i want to use eventghost to change the program running on my desktop based on the channel i tune to. if i use multiple iptv cards (1 per channel) i can use eventghost to detect the stream id (card id) (cant seem to get eventghostplus to send channel id as a payload) from mediaportal and it will then close down one program and open another - so far so good!

only issue is that i have multiple clients and if the first client starts on one channel and another client starts a different channel then eventghost will override it and both a forced to watch the same channel - not an issue but if recording then it screws up as i get half a program!

i have tried changing the number of iptv to 1 (which i was hoping would limit tv server to one active iptv at a time) but after a server restart it deletes all but 1 iptv card!

am i setting it wrong somehow or is there something i can do.

help please!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello jonathantwynham

I've read your post at least three times, but I'm really struggling to understand. :confused:
    Please could you explain: what is your goal here?
    When you say you want multiple clients to be able to start different channels, how would you expect that to work?

It is literally not possible to have one DVB-IP/IPTV tuner tune more than one channel simultaneously without changing the code...

mm

jonathantwynham

Portal Pro
    March 27, 2013
    Home Country
    hi.

sorry. dont think i explaines very clearly!

i need multiple iptv tuners (1 for each channel i stream by vlc) so that i can detect which channel is being viewed by its stream id with eventghost plus. i only want to be able to watch one channel at a time... with multiple iptv tuners enabled it will let you watch multiple channels etc.

ie..

i have a seperate streaming server with vlc streaming its desktop (i dont have access to the video i need to stream - this is the only way i can do it) and eventghost enabled to open and close windows based on stream ids.

dvbip tuner 1 - channel a (stream id 1)
    dvbip tuner 2 - channel b (stream id 2)
    dvbip tuner 3 - channel c (stream id 3)

vlc is constantly streaming the pc desktop and audio mix...

client a requests channel a, eventghost detects stream id1 and opens window x and tvserver plays channel a through tuner 1.

client b requests channel b (whilst client a is watching channel a), eventghost detects id2 and opens window y (closing window x), tv server plays channel through tuner 2

.... but.....

now client a is forced to watch channel b (which would be fine but if the tvserver is recording channel a it gets overridden and will record channel b).

what i need is when one iptv tuner is active for tvserver to refuse to open another one....

so is there any way i can have multiple dvbip tuners but only let tvserver have 1 active at any one time??

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hmmm, I'm still struggling to understand.
    The thing that is confusing me the most is how you're using EventGhost.

i need multiple iptv tuners (1 for each channel i stream by vlc) so that i can detect which channel is being viewed by its stream id with eventghost plus.
    When you say "stream id", are you talking about the number in the RTSP URL?
    If so, using the stream ID is not a good way to do this. That number is not related to the tuner or to the channel - it comes from the streaming server. It is assigned based on how many streams you have open.

So, the only way to make it work would be to have the streams constantly running with TV Server configuration. That way the stream IDs would stay constant.

In other words, use the manual control section of TV Server configuration to start streaming of all of your three channels. Then when your clients connect, they should be able to just connect to the existing streams. You'd need to configure 3 IPTV tuners and leave TV Server configuration open with the streams running all the time.

jonathantwynham

Portal Pro
    March 27, 2013
    Home Country
    ok.

basically i have multiple silverlight streams i need to get into tvserver as a tv channel.
    i dont have access to the stream url and for authentication purposes i dont want to do it that way.

what i am doing is opening each stream in a silverlight player in a firefox bowser window.

i then use vlc and directshow to stream the desktop, ie a maximised fullscreen browser window with audio on udp which i can then view as a channel in tvserver. i therefore add my stream udp://@219.x.x.x as a channel and designate it to 1 dvbip tuner.

i have 7 silverlight streams i need to alternate between and i only want to watch one at a time so i am manually adding multiple channels with the exact same stream and network ids etc as i am using vlc to only push 1 stream. i them assign 1 channel to 1 tuner. so i then have 7 tuners.

when i open one of the channels eventghostplus sends the mediaportal.tv.play with the payload which includes the stream id. now because i only have 1 channel per tuner the stream id is specifically the tuner id. this doesnt change. i then use eventghost to open firefox with the correct page url with the embedded silverlight player for that channel.

if i change channel i use eventghost to trigger firefox.window.close before it opens a new window with the new stream id which them opens another browser with the corrosponding page url.

this works fine provided i am only viewing on 1 client at a time. if i am watching a stream on the first client and a second client accesses a channel it closes the current browser window and opens a new one. if it was a single client requesting a new channel then thats exactly what i want to happen... but if its a second client request whilst a current client is watching i want to be able to deny the request to view the channel in tvserver.

i will repeat again what i am asking:

is it possible to have 7 dvbip tuners enabled but only be able to view 1 tuner at a time.... ie... as if i only had one tuner installed.

by far the easiest way would be to have one tuner with multiple channels and use the tv channel id in the payload but eventghostplus does not send channel id on tv.play just the stream id.

this will work fine provided i can set up tvserver to only allow 1 concurrent connection to the dvbip tuners - which is what i thought the dvbip number was for.

so to reiterate i need 7 tuners installed but to only allow access to 1 at a time.

jonathantwynham

Portal Pro
    March 27, 2013
    Home Country
    i never realised that was possible with dvbip.

if it works i owe you a shed load of pints of your favourite if your ever my way!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom