Multiple recording machines (1 Viewer)

PatM

Portal Member
May 14, 2009
Home Country
Canada Canada
Another post title (distributed setup) reminded me of something that I was looking at years ago. Figured I'd ask here.

Is it possible to have more than one TV server machine making recordings (which are all saved on a NAS) and have those recordings available to both TV servers? I would assume that means both servers would have to write data to a single database (or perhaps have one server be the DB master and the other reports to the master which writes to the database).

I'm wondering because I use internal capture cards and PCs just don't have a lot of capable slots (most I could find is two). It would be cool if my MP "Client" machines could record as well.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Is it possible to have more than one TV server machine making recordings (which are all saved on a NAS) and have those recordings available to both TV servers?
    Not really. I mean, you can certainly install TV Server on 2 machines and have them both save recordings to the same NAS. However, the 2 TV Servers can't be configured to talk to each other. That means you will have to manually manage which server records each schedule.

It is possible to import the recordings from server 1 into server 2 (and vice versa) using this section of configuration:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...er_Configuration/07_Recording#Database_import

However that is also a manual process. There's no way to schedule it. The only way to have it happen automatically would be to "roll your own" import script/program. It wouldn't be particularly hard for an experienced developer, but it's probably out of the reach of somebody who has never done any coding in their lives.

I would assume that means both servers would have to write data to a single database (or perhaps have one server be the DB master and the other reports to the master which writes to the database).
    Back in the day TV Server had the capability to be configured to co-ordinate multiple TV Server installs. One was a master and the others were slaves, exactly as you say. That's why there's a "TV Servers" section in TV Server Configuration to this day. Apparently the feature was really buggy and unreliable, so it was disabled years ago.

I'm wondering because I use internal capture cards and PCs just don't have a lot of capable slots (most I could find is two).
    A standard ATX motherboard has up to 7 slots. Only the motherboards designed for people who want smaller PCs are limited to less slots. I'm not sure if you have PCI or PCIe cards, but either way it should be easily possible to find a motherboard with more than 2 slots if you really wanted to. These days you might struggle to find one with more than 2 PCI slots, but then most cards are PCIe too now.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    AGP slots? I wasn't aware that there were any tuners or capture cards with AGP slots. If you're talking about your video/graphics card (GPU), it might be time to get an upgrade. According to Wikipedia, AGP slots have been in a process of phasing out since 2004...

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    LOL
    Another proof that today is " back to the future day ".

Must have been around that time, 30 years ago, when I paid almost $400 for an external 20MB 5.25inches HDD.

PatM

Portal Member
    May 14, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Full or half-height? I had a high tech RLL 20MB half-height 5 1/4 that sounded a lot like a chain saw. It was on an amazing IBM XT turbo clone (Eagle I think).

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    Well, full. Had about the size of a brick, a big one, LOL.
    Back then we had a Schneider Euro PC, The memory was upgraded from 512 to 640KB.
    Oh boy, what a time.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You guys win! :D
    My first PC was a 286 bought at a junk sale for $10. It took so long to boot that I thought it was dead.
    The first HDD I remember was a 5.25" half height Quantum Bigfoot 1.2 GB drive. It developed problems (AIUI, not uncommon for those drives). I recall using Split and Splat with a serial connection to rescue my MP3 collection.

@PatM
    More seriously, I hope I answered your question adequately. If your motherboard is a restriction and you don't want to upgrade it for whatever reason, I guess you could consider the HD-PVR, HD-PVR 2 or one of their variants. They're USB-connected.

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    IF he really has an AGP-port on the board, the USB will most likely be still 1.1.
    2.0 was later.
    But to be honest, I think he's trying to pull some chains here:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom