Multiple tuners (DVB-S) and CA Module etc. (1 Viewer)

jsimo01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 24, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

I presently have a TechnoTrend S2-3200 (DVB-S2) tuner with conditional access module and I was thinking of adding another (or alternative; FireDTV possibly). I've never played with multiple tuners before so I am not really sure of the problems I may encounter.

Ideally I would like to be able to watch/record two channels at the same time (FTA or Subscription), I know this has likely been touched upon before but on searching the forums I could not find an answer:-

1.) Is it possible to access the smartcard via a phoenix card reader and software CAM (running NDSCAM, or similar) from each tuner?

This as an alternative to using a CAM attached to each card with independant subscription cards. I have been working on the assumption that the smartcard is only accessed when tuning to a channel as opposed to constantly while watching an encrypted channel but this may be incorrect!

2.) Can this work in MP, does anybody have a working solution/alternative?

Many Thanks,

John

:D

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Software CAM's are not supported in any way shape or form.

My understnading is that a CAM will be linked to a tuner, so you would need two CAMs for two tuners. Something that can help things though is MPs handling of DVB multiplexes. Channels are broadcast in groups called a multiplex (or MUX). Some CAMs and cards can decode multiple programs at once, so you can get more than one channel out of the MUX at one time.

jsimo01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 24, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    That was pretty much what I thought, Pity!

Do you know which cards (DVB-S or S2) that support this feature?

Thanks,

John

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    I believe the decoding-miltiple-channels-from-one-multiplex is a CAM finction rather than a tuner/CI function. I could be wrong however.

Having not installed a satellite dish yet, I'm still unsure of some of the details of this setup. Once I move to a new flat, I'll be getting a satellite setup running

_Leo_

November 29, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I do have a Technotrend s2-3200 and I can view several channels from the same mux simultaniously. I have also planned to add another s2-3200 and hope the cam can handle both cards.

Can you explain more about the solution you found?

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom